About this page

I am a late comer on this ship, I know. I pretty much was turned onto Stargate when I was injured (for my own stupidity I assure you) and I took to the Netflix to find something to occupy myself. I discovered that one of my favorite movies of all time had been made into a TV show, so I started to watch. And fell in love. With Daniel Jackson. Madly. Not just Michael Shanks (although I am fairly certain that he is a Grecian God - oh dear lord....) but the character himself. Then came seasons 9 and 10 and I was just upset by the whole thing. I love Claudia Black and the scenes were fun, but really? Her? That is what they decided he would end up with? Ugh. I mean really, what would they talk about, ever? So, I made him someone. This is your warning. This is sorta a Mary Sue. Sorta because a Mary Sue is Ms. Perfect and while Adrienne seems perfect at first she is NOT. By a stretch. She needs someone like him as bad as he needed someone like her. This is their love story.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Daniel & Adrienne #51 - Joie de Vivre


We needed a break right?
From things falling apart?


“I’m not a runner!!” Daniel shouted from what seemed to be miles away rather than feet, Adrienne so far ahead now there was no way he was going to catch up, especially since he knew she would take the stairs and not the elevator. 

“And I’m not a sprinter, so you shouldn't be so far behind,” she continued her advance to the door, the stairwell in sight. 

“Ad, dammit, this isn’t funny!!!” Daniel continued to scream, running full force...

Right into General Jack O’Neill. 

“Christ Daniel, did I miss some sirens!?!” Jack asked, throwing up his hands looking back at Colonel Telford to see if there really was something he had missed. There was a shout down the passageway, Daniel holding Jack by the shoulders to peer around.  

“Sorry, my, I’ve, I’ve gotta go!” Daniel stammered out, racing back down the hallway, both Jack and David Telford watching him dash to the stairwell door, slamming shut into his face, the archaeologist swearing before opening it, running down the stairwell. 

“What was that?” the colonel asked, shaking his head in confusion, but Jack was laughing, rubbing his face with his hand. 

“That my friend is what happens when Daniel’s getting laid,” the general responded, laughing, leading his comrade to his wife’s office. 

*****

“Adrienne, really, I want to get that finished. You know Rodney is going to steal you away for more blood work and then I’m going to be stuck alone. This is the first week in months we have been left alone for database work...” Daniel whined, stopping at the platform to level K, two full floors below their new quarters. Adrienne was no where in sight, not a sound, but he could have sworn he heard her footsteps come to a halt right here. Frowning, he scanned the landing when he felt a hand at his shoulder, a force jerking him around forcefully and lips pressed to his. Found her, he thought, submitting to the roughhousing, Adrienne’s mouth working its way feverishly across his before taking his lower lip between her teeth, nipping at it gently. 

“Do we need to go upstairs?” he asked, relenting, knowing that as much as he wanted to make some headway in the database he could also never say no to this, to her tempting offer. He had to admit that he had never felt this way before, never cared that much about any person in his life to toss it all aside, but Adrienne, Adrienne was different. She was perfect, she was so much like him, she was the other half of his soul. It sounded so ridiculous and sappy, but every time he stood there, staring into her eyes, he thought back to that night in the hotel room in Nebraska when she had showed him that tattoo on her hip, the unfinished tree, the moment his entire opinion of her changed. Before he thought of her as a pest, albeit a talented one, but standing at the doorway to the bathroom of that seedy motel he realized that inside that strange and unique individual was a kind and loving heart, one that he had never given a chance. He now realized that he was the other half of the tree.

“No,” she laughed, pecking him lightly a second time before pulling away, “I just needed to burn some energy and wanted to talk to you, sans cameras and possible interruptions.” Shrugging, she handed him back the folder, taking a seat on the metal stairs, Daniel sitting quickly to join her. 

“What’s wrong ja-wer? Are you feeling...?” he paused, not wanting to bring it up again. It had been hard, not the physical recovery per se, but the emotional one, where she had to come to terms yet again with the dangers that this life had brought her, the dangers life with him brought her. He leaned over, trying to gauge the look on her face when her fingers were at his, intertwining with them tenderly. 

“Daniel I need a break,” she said quietly, her eyes darting down to the folder in guilt. Daniel’s heart stopped; what did she mean a break? He was meeting with the maitre’d tonight, tonight, did she mean a break from them? A break from this? He started to speak stammer for words when she shook her head, laughing lightly. 

“Oh no sha, not that kind of break. I need a vacation. Badly. I need to not think about dead aliens, bureaucratic paperwork, or jackal headed assholes that want to kill my boyfriend. I need that kind of break,” she correct, leaning over to kiss him softly for emphasis. Whew, he thought, way to panic. 

“I wasn’t thinking that,” he covered quickly, smiling. 

“You’re a bad liar Indy. Always have been,” she teased, picking up his arm so she could cozy under it, letting it drape around her, Daniel pulling her close. 

“You’re lucky no one uses the back stairs,” he whispered, kissing her temple as he held her tightly to him. 

“Which I think says a lot about the overall health and fitness choices my colleagues are making, but I shall refrain from comment,” she joked and he laughed, shaking his head against hers. 

“Give me two days to go through the database, two, also gives Rodney time to play with your blood and remaining trinium.  That will make it Thursday, and we can take off and stay at home for a long weekend,” Daniel offered, pulling back just a touch to let her answer.  

“Daniel, I don’t wanna stay home. I want a vacation. Remember, those things we used to take when we were friends and we didn’t think the end of the world was coming?” she clarified, hoping he wouldn’t take it the wrong way. It wasn’t that she didn’t want to spend time with him, it was that she wanted a real escape, something that made her forget the realities and hardships that they faced together each day and reminded them of the joys of just that, being together. There was a pause, as though he was considering her words in true Daniel fashion, over analyzing her words, trying to determine if he had done something to offend her. 

“What did you have in mind?” he asked instead, taking no offensive and Adrienne smiled, nodding her head. 

“Something fun, something different. I’ve got an idea, but, Indy, can we, really? Can we leave Wednesday night? I can arrange everything; I’m gonna be waiting around Rodney’s lab for at least the rest of today, if not tomorrow, I’ll have plenty of time. Please?” she made a sad face, that fake Vala sad face she liked to throw at him when she wanted something. 

“I should say no just for this display, but fine, ok, I’ll scrap a few days of uninterrupted research just to appease you. Why not?” he mocked back, shaking his head and rolling his eyes. Her face aglow, yep, that look enough was worth scrapping the work, she leapt from their cold metal seat, rushing into his arms again, kissing him softly. 

“This is gonna be great. Trust me,” she promised as she pulled back, locking her eyes on his. 

“Go before I change my mind ja-wer,” he noted, shaking the retrieved folder. Biting her lip and wrinkling her nose, Adrienne darted from the stairwell, headed up the flights that would take her to their quarters. 

“Damn distracting Adrienne,” he said aloud, smiling as he jogged back down the stairs to M-level, heading back for the lab.

*****

“Thank God you’re here!” Adrienne exclaimed as Vala opened the door to her office, confused by her friend pushing past her and marching over to her desk. 

“Thank God what, of course I’m here. I’m here listening to what other idiots have recorded, stolen, picked up, useless shit rather than getting it myself, but no, I am here at your disposal, what do you need?” Vala ranted, hands on her hips as she watched Addy take a seat in her chair, tossing her satchel on top of the desk and pulling out her laptop, firing up the machine like she was just supposed to be there. 

“I need, mon ami, for you to keep Daniel away from me,” Adrienne replied, typing furiously, her eyes darting back and forth along the screen. 

“What did he do now? Do I need to punch him again?” Vala inquired her interest peaked as she sauntered over to the desk, finally finding something more interesting than poor intelligence. 

“I’m planning a trip, a real trip, a trip I want to go on. I don’t want him trying to come in here and influence me and sweet talk his way into what he wants to do,” the cajun responded, clicking feverishly when her eyes widened, glancing up at Vala. 

“Does your phone have long distance?” she asked. 

“Yeah, why?” Vala answered but Adrienne didn’t reply, just picked up the receiver dialing, covering up the mouthpiece for just a moment. 

“Rodney too. I feel like a maple tree. Tell him I’m tapped out,” Adrienne ordered, holding up her finger to shush her friend, “Hi, my name is Dr. Adrienne Rowan and I’m a researcher with the United States Air Force how are you?” Well that was rude, Vala thought, watching her friend switch right into that sweet mode she got into when she wanted something. I’ve taught her well, Vala thought, walking to the door to heed her friend’s request. 

*****

The gadget buzzed in her pocket, breaking her concentration yet again. Growling, Vala hit stop on the recording, pulling the headphones from her head to look up at Adrienne. 

“That is the sixth time he’s called me. If you’re not answering and I’m not answering he is going to put things together,” she stated, reaching into her pants for the phone, waving it at Adrienne who was shaking her head. 

“One more call Vala and I have everything set, just one more,” she pleaded, reaching for Vala’s desk phone one final time. 

“Why are you using my phone anyway? You have a cell phone,” she stated as Adrienne dialed, checking the number again on the computer screen. 

“Daniel’s nosey. Once he figures out I’m not gonna tell him what we are doing, he’ll wait until I’m asleep and search my phone,” she answered simply, her tone changing as she said hello into the phone. 

“I think that’s creepy Addy,” Vala replied, pocketing her phone again as Adrienne shook her head, mouthing something about him being nosey again. 

“Yes, I know that we do not have enough people to get a group discount, but I was calling to see if you offered a military discount. Yes, I’ll hold,” Adrienne sighed out, on hold yet again. 

“How many people is a group?” Vala asked, now even more curious. 

“Fifteen according to the website,” Adrienne replied, tapping her pen nervously at the desk. 

“Wait? How many people are you thinking about going?” she now asked, thinking that Adrienne had been planning a romantic getting away with Daniel but apparently not. 

“Five I guess. I was thinking SG-1, me and Indy, you, Cam, T. There is no way Sam can get away, Teyla couldn’t find a sitter so fast, the docs are still in clone land and playing with my spinal fluid and John won’t go without Teyla, trust me, they are like me and Daniel minus sex,” Adrienne answered, now bopping her head to what Vala could only imagine was horrible elevator music judging by her friend’s face. She smiled, understanding that she was welcome on this adventure when her face furrowed, realizing that Adrienne had forgotten someone. 

“Addy, what about Ronon?” Vala asked. 

“What about him?” Adrienne replied. 

“Why didn’t you list him?” she continued as Adrienne held up a finger, speaking into the phone again. 

“Yes, Airforce. That’s right we’re all active military. Thank you,” Adrienne answered the person on the other line, looking back at Vala. 

“It makes me feel bad, I mean, I know we are well over things, but I feel like I can’t even hold Daniel’s hand without being a complete tchew,” she stated, making a face that Vala knew meant she was telling the truth. To be honest, Vala had completely forgotten about all of that, a surge of jealously rocketing through her, making her wonder what in the hell all of the boys on base saw in her small chested cajun friend, but shooed the thought away, not wanting to be that hateful to someone she had begun to think of as a sister. 

“Adrienne, can we invite him? Can I invite him?” Vala asked, quietly, waiting for her friend to explode but she didn’t instead sighing out as the salesman came back on the phone. 

“Six tickets I think, I think we’ll need six. Yes, yes I’ll have ID. Thank you,” Adrienne said, hanging up the receiver.  

“Well I ordered six tickets mon ami, but as soon as you ask him you meet me at our room, because I want DETAILS,” Adrienne requested as Vala raced for the door, heading out into the hallway toward the gym, the first place she would check. She had gotten about five steps from the room when she paused, peering over her shoulder. 

“Wait!!? That’s MY office! And I never got any damn details!?!?” 

*****
Daniel finished drying his hair, tossing the towel into the hamper as he left the bathroom to see Adrienne sitting cross legged on the bed, hidden behind the satin canopy reading intently. 

“What’s that?” he asked, noting the absence of blond vampires and blood, in fact, it looked like a kid’s book, a teenager riding a pegasus on the cover. 

“Percy Jackson,” she replied without looking up. 

“Which is...?” he asked, walking over to bed, their bed, pulling back the curtain to crawl in beside her, underneath of the unnecessary blankets in the August heat, air conditioning or not. 

“Teen demi-gods of the ancient Greeks,” she responded, her eyes racing back and forth across the page. 

“Must be good if I’m not even getting a kiss goodnight,” he joked as he scooted down on the pillow, playfully turning his back to her, feeling a light swat at his head. 

“Let me finish this chapter o’ master of patience and I’m right behind you,” she played back, racing to finish. There were only a few pages left, and Adrienne found herself speed reading, even more so as he pretended to snore beside her. 

“Ya such a damn cooyon,” she teased, laughing at the poor attempt as the acting grew louder. 

“Dammit,” she swore, tossing the book on her night stand, “sa c’est bette,” she fussed, rolling him onto his back and crawling on top of him as he laughed hysterically. 

“I am not stupid,” he laughed, throwing her off and over to her side, pinning down her arms playfully, cautiously, walking the fine line he always walked when they chose to rough house. Seeing her smile, he leaned down kissing her gently before pulling away, gazing down in her eyes. 

“You are silly,” she corrected, reaching her hand to his face, letting her fingertips trace his cheek, jawline and full lips. 

“Only due to your terrible influence,” he answered, kissing her fingers and laying on his back, pulling her to his chest as he reached back to shut off the light. Sighing, she snuggled close to him, wrapping her arm around his waist and draping her legs across his, silently listening to his heartbeat, letting its soothing rhythm carry her to sleep. 

“Where are we going?” he asked, Adrienne outright impressed that he waited until after work, dinner, cleaning and showers before asking. Well, asking after his repeated phone calls all day, but this was Daniel and his patience once they were face to face again was something to be commended. Giggling, she rubbed his chest softly, leaning up to peer into his azure eyes, sparkling in the moonlight that was peeking through their window. 

“Nice try Indy. My vacation, remember? And what if I was trying to surprise you? It’s not fair to make me ruin a surprise,” she responded, smiling softly. 

“Is it? Is it a surprise?” he asked, confused. The only thing she did tell him about the trip was that it included six people, that it wasn’t just to two of them, which he didn’t mind, it just made him that much more curious. 

“Actually, yes. Parts of it yes, have been carefully planned. See I have this problem. I fell in love with you and it seems to put a kink into everything,” she replied, leaning forward to peck his lips ever so gently, so much so he breathed in, chills rushing down his spine. Hugging him close, she settled down again against him, her arm back where it usually rested, her head the same. 

“Ad?” he whispered into dark. 

“What sha?” 

“Did you ever think you’d be sleeping with the guy who wore a cone of foil on his head?” he asked, withholding laughter. 

“Go to sleep Indy or I leave you at home.” 

*****
Wednesday didn’t fly by, nor did it drag, although to Adrienne it felt like a hundred years had passed, spending most of the day lying face down on Rodney’s table while he scanned and checked her spine a billion times. Throughout the process, he kept rambling on about incompetence, how this was missed before when she sustained the original injury and how annoyed he was that Sam could not get in contact with Xe’ls for more information. At one point he went as far as to suggest that they inject a little trinium back into Adrienne to see if she reacted, but she put a stop to before he could even try to persuade her to agree. 

Released from McKay’s evil clutches, Adrienne texted Daniel to let him know that she was going to head home and pack for both of them, knowing that her beloved would use the packing as an excuse to pry for further details. Not even giving him time to respond, she left base, taking the first train home to get started.

At five he really wasn’t where he wanted to be and with Adrienne having sent him a text well over three hours ago, not a peep since, he was worried. Despite his hints over breakfast, the metro ride in to work and the entire ride down the elevator, she hadn’t budged, hadn’t told him a thing other than they were riding separate from the others and  he needed to be home no later than seven. 

He walked in their front door at six. 

“I knew you’d be early,” she teased as he came in, making his way quickly to the office to toss his work bag, having been forewarned over coffee that no work was allowed. In the past he would have been upset, but now he was more intrigued than anything. 

“I figured you shouldn’t be left to do all of the packing,” he answered, walking straight for where she had apparently finished packing already, reaching for his suitcase. 

“Touch that case and die sha,” she warned, not moving an inch toward him. Stopping in his tracks he turned to face her, trying to give her that look, that innocent clueless look she claimed he gave her that made her melt, but she just shook her head and pointed to the door. 

“Bags to Jeep. Don’t open anything and get in the passenger side,” she ordered, smiling. Doing as he was told, honestly excited about the possible surprise, Daniel grabbed the suitcases, taking them out to his car. 

*****

Daniel was waiting patiently when Adrienne finally locked the front door, smiling as she skipped down the walk. Curiosity burning inside of him, Daniel scanned her from top to bottom, trying to see if her attire gave away anything, but other than choosing to wear a light peach summer blouse with her jeans rather than a t-shirt there was no difference. As expected, she crawled over the door to the Jeep, the top having been long since stowed in the garage, reaching into her pocket before making herself comfortable in the seat. 

“Relax sha,” she ordered, pushing him back by his chest into the seat. Playing along, for now, he saw that what she had in her hand was one of his bandanas, folded like a blindfold. 

“Adrienne, come on, a blindfold?” he asked, starting to change his opinion fast. 

“Please Indy, please, for me,” she pleaded, leaning forward to kiss his lips softly, so softly, now it was his turn to melt. 

“Fine,” he gave in as she pulled away, “but it’s not fair to use that to get your way.” 

“I still find it funny that it works so easily on you,” she joked, sitting back in the driver’s seat and starting the ignition. Deciding not to comment, Daniel pulled the bandana to his eyes, covering them as requested and leaned back into the seat, closing his eyes to nap until they arrived at their destination. 

*****

It was her lips that brought him to, smooth and tender against his own, making him reach out to take her in his arms when there was a pulling, she was gone, leaving Daniel confused. 

“Dammit, haven’t you two been together long enough to be sick of that yet?” he heard a voice, Vala’s voice, realizing that they weren’t at home, this wasn’t morning and they must have arrived at their destination. He reached for the back of his head, the blindfold still tightly in place, when smaller hands, her hands, beat him to it, untying while another voice spoke. 

“Ma’am, can I get your keys?” it asked, the hands leaving the back of his head, a clang of keys shaking her response. Anxious, Daniel returned his hands to the fabric, ripping it off, bright lights shining in his face, making him squint. Eyes closed, he grabbed his glasses from where he had set them in the console, slipping them on his face and trying to open his eyes a second time. 

“Adrienne what have you done?” he asked in amazement, realizing where he was. She had booked them a room, booked them all rooms at the Jefferson Hotel, the most exclusive hotel in Richmond. She’d booked them a room at the hotel where he had almost told her he loved her. 

“I hopefully read your mind,” she whispered in his ear, ushering him out with her hands so the valet could park the car. Scanning he could see their friends standing at the entrance, Teal’c carefully examining a large bronze alligator gracing the hotel patio. 

“Ad, this place isn’t cheap,” Daniel scolded, stepping out of the Jeep and reaching for their bags, but she was shaking her head already. 

“First, I only paid for our room, so no worries there and second you bought me a house Daniel, a house. Don’t lecture me about expensive,” she pointed out. Point for Ad, he thought, deciding not to argue and followed the group inside. 

*****

Adrienne turned around from the check in stand, handing him the key card with a sad look on her face. 

“I tried to get the same room, but it was booked, and I was holding out that they canceled, but they didn’t. I’m sorry,” she apologized, looking genuinely upset. Smiling, he reached forward, grabbing her hand and interlocking their fingers. 

“I’m here with you that’s all that matters,” he whispered, leaning in for a kiss. 

“Stop, stop, stop, stop, stop,” Vala shouted as embarrassingly loud as she could in the middle of the mezzanine, forcing her way between them, “you promised adventure and not a love fest. We get it, we all get it, you’re so in love, soul mates, blah, blah, blah.” 

Red in the face, Cam shaking his head at the two of them as well, Adrienne led the way down the hall, to their respective rooms. 

*****

It had taken the better part of two hours to get from D.C. to Richmond, two hours that was exhausting after a full day’s worth of work. By the time they were checked in and settled, only Vala wanted to go out, insisting that it was boring just going to bed early like old people. Adrienne tried not to give too much away, knowing they needed to be rested for tomorrow, but Ronon saved the day, volunteering to take Vala downstairs to the bar for drinks, while both Teal’c and Cam decided to turn in for the night. 

Adrienne didn’t mind in the least. 

It wasn’t the reason for the vacation, not by far, she really wanted a get away, but Adrienne didn’t argue when Daniel had taken her by the hand, leading her gently to the bed, laying her down tenderly. Smiling he crawled on slowly beside her, pausing as she pulled his glasses off of his face, continuing his advance once she had set them aside on the night stand. There were no impediments, no possible sirens and he had tossed both of their cell phones into his suitcase, refusing to answer them as well. Tonight it was just he and the woman of his dreams, with no interruptions. Bringing his hand to her face, he kissed her slowly, deliberately, the wine she had poured while they were unpacking still fresh on her soft lips, sweetening the kiss. She returned his advance, pulling her body closer to his, her hands moving down his hips, grabbing his backside to force his pelvis to her own. Chuckling, he reached down to her waist, gripping the hem of her fragile blouse gently, raising it over her head, past her arms to discard it to the floor, returning his lips to her collarbone rather than her face. He knew that drove her wild, wilder than kissing her neck, but he wanted to take this slowly, so he pulled away, leaning up to remove his own t-shirt from his torso. 

“I wanted to do that,” she joked just as he was leaning to pull it over his head, stopping and holding his hands up like she had taken him captive. Giggling, she finished the job, pulling the shirt over his head to bring her nose quickly to his chest, nuzzling him, tickling him, making him laugh, until he pushed her away, smiling. Returning his attention to her, where he wanted it to be, he let his fingers glide gently up her shoulder to her bra strap, pulling it down to the side, kissing, teasing his way down, moving to the other side when the first strap was hanging at her bicep. She breathed in slowly, loving that he was taking his time and hating it all the same, pushing him onto his back and climbing slowly on top of him. Pausing, Daniel gazed up at her, resting his hand of her hips as he let himself get lost in her beauty. 

“I really should wear my contacts,” he whispered, running his hands lightly and softly down her toned waist. 

“Why is that sha?” she asked, her index finger working its way slowly down his stomach, to the top of his pants, where she was already undoing the button. 

“Because I feel like I miss so much, that if I just give in and wear the damn things, I can see how magnificent you really are,” he admitted, reaching his hands up her back to pull her into an embrace. He held her for a moment, so very close, like he didn’t want to let go, before she sat up, pulling away, to look down at him, her hands back at his pants, pulling down the zipper. Taking her hand away for a moment to kiss her fingers, he let go, reaching to unclasp her bra and remove the garment, tossing it to the ground and turning to the side, forcing her to lay beside him on the bed. 

“Let me,” he requested quietly and she nodded, lying on her back to allow him to pull the jeans from her hips, kicking his own to the floor and slipping inside of her ever so slowly. She hissed in with pleasure at his initial thrust, her hands quickly gripping his hips, letting him guide their rhythm but wanting to feel it in every part of her body. He was slow, deliberate, lifting her slightly with each thrust, the waves of pleasure rocketing from inside, inside like only he had ever been able to do, making her moan and clench him strongly.  There was a tightness around him again and he slowed his pace slightly, not wanting to end this closeness too soon. Reaching around her back, he took her into his arms, bringing them to their sides, clasping her thigh to bring her closer to him to drive deeper into her, rocking in and out of her warmth as she whispered his name, pecking his ear and kissing passionately down his neck. Eventually, she was curving her hips, thrusting herself towards him, holding him both tighter to and in her body. Fulfilling her request, Daniel clasped her butt in his hand, squeezing it, feeling a sensation within himself that he didn’t want to feel just yet. 

“Not so soon,” she plead, kissing his lightly and caressing his face.

“I’m trying,” he gasped out, too caught up in the moment to stop. Hoping to calm himself, he grabbed her waist once more, turning their bodies again, guiding her to position where she was now riding him lightly, his hands reaching out to slow her grinding onto him. She got the message, smiling, leaning forward, bringing their lips together into a passionate kiss as she rocked against him.

“I love you ja-wer, more than life,” he whispered to her as he held her face close so he could see, through the haze of his blurred vision, those mystifying eyes that had hypnotized him so long ago. 

“I love you too Daniel, it’s alright, let go,” she requested sweetly, nearly there herself, feeling him throb inside of her, the final swell before the end. Giving in to the climb he let her sit up, riding him, rocking into him, holding him tightly inside of her body and he released, letting his head relax into the pillow as the crash of feeling took over his body, only vaguely aware of Adrienne gasping on top of him, one hand planted firmly on his chest, the other frantically reaching for his hand, clasping it in her own. He hit his final peak, shouting out something he did not remember, his chest heaving as she came to a rest on top of him, curling into him, hungry for his skin against hers. 


*****

“Hello?” Daniel answered, reluctantly unwrapping himself from Adrienne, mostly, as he couldn’t quite undo their legs. 

“Good morning sir. You asked for an seven thirty a.m. wake-up call?” the voice replied, Daniel vaguely remembering the request. Adrienne had said something about needing to leave here no later than quarter to nine. 

“Yes, thank you,” he replied, hanging up the phone and reaching to wrap his arms around her shoulders, kissing her cheek, and nuzzling her ear. 

“Wake up ja-wer, that was your call,” he whispered, expecting her to argue, beg him to stay in bed, which he was fully prepared to do if she only said the word. 

“I heard,” she answered, to his amazement, rolling over, her face cuddling into his neck. So funny, he thought, the thought striking him as the memories of where they were and what might have come to be sooner registering, that he had never thought she’d be a cuddler. 

“What?” she asked, giggling, pulling away, looking at him strangely. 

“Just never imagined this; I never imagined I’d be happy and I get to keep you, for the rest of my life,” he admitted, feelings racing through him, wanting to take her into his arms again and repeat the slow love making from the night before when she sat up quickly, staring down at him and shaking her head.

“Nuh uh, you’re not doing it now. This is my weekend, there will be no marriage proposals during my silliness,” she clarified, frowning at him. 

“I’m starting to think that you think I can’t do this,” he teased, remembering the meeting on Tuesday night, the plans he and the maitre’d had carefully laid when she started to giggle again, thankfully, flashing her left hand. 

“It’s still empty, need I say more,” she taunted, and he knew full well that she didn’t care about a ring, a ceremony, anything else like a normal woman would want. Adrienne just wanted to hear the words, she just wanted him to say forever, but he could never resist a good tease. 

“Ok, Vala, I’ll get right on the diamond. Would you care for a matching crown?” he joked back, Adrienne playfully pushing him, untangling their legs and crawling on top of him. 

“Let’s get in the shower,” she requested, tugging at his arms to pull him upright, “we’re meeting everyone at the restaurant in an hour. Daniel started to argue, this was supposed to be a vacation, he could just eat a Powerbar, leave later, skip the restaurant, when he registered her words: let’s. 

“Yes ma’am,” he said, standing and following her to the bathroom. 

*****

“Really Ad? A theme park??” Daniel was unable to control his shock as she drove right into the parking lot behind Cameron’s rental car, containing the rest of the group.  

“Come on Indy, it’ll be fun,” Adrienne reasoned, knowing that he wasn’t afraid of heights per se, but he didn’t have a strong liking of them either. 

“Define fun,” was his response, as he looked over at her, the Daniel frown plastered across his face.

“Fun is planning a last minute trip to a romantic hotel then being able to get up with your friends and act like a kid again. I promise sha, it’ll be great,” Adrienne assured him, pulling up to the booth to pay for their parking. Sitting back in the seat, Daniel let his eyes wander to the spread in front of him, the entrance, a large yellow roller coaster right at the main gates, a brown boat turning upside down and then he spotted it in the distance. It was red, tall and something that no one should ever find fun. Sure he’d jumped out of planes now, for work, for the sake of the world, but he knew why she had dragged him here. Suck it up Daniel, he willed himself, remember you want this woman to marry you; you will ride the damn coaster. 

“Earth to Indy, we’re here,” Adrienne informed him, woke him, evidently he’d been staring out into space, staring at the ride. He started to sit forward when he felt her hand  on his, squeezing it. 

“That’s the Intimidator. It is a three hundred foot drop straight down. Tallest and fastest in the country. It is supposed to be amazing, some people even black out due to the G-force,” she explained, following his gaze. 

“So that’s why we are here? Not because you wanted to have a romantic get away at the Jefferson, but to ride that?” he asked a question for which he really didn’t want the answer and she was beaming already. 

“Pretty much,” she replied, leaping from the Jeep. Taking a breath, Daniel followed, telling himself that this was going to be fun. 

*****

About an hour into their adventure, he had to admit that it was indeed fun. Adrienne had decided that he needed a warm up, stopping him at the first ride, which was, as he thought, the yellow roller coaster. He’d been a bit apprehensive, but watching her leap onto the the ride in glee he just towed behind, seeing the excitement blaze in her eyes. She’s just so full of life, he thought, that’s why this is so perfect. Standing in line, he listened to her and Vala giggle about their silly vampire show, which now Ronon was apparently watching, making Daniel start to wonder if the Sateadan had interests of his own. He watched her laugh, Vala tease, Ronon try to figure out for himself why everyone on the show was in love with that stupid waitress, Cam study the park map, reading the captions explaining the history of each of the rides to Teal’c, who was leaning over to examine the structure of the rides. This is it, he thought, this is my dysfunctional family, the part that was present, his beautiful wife to be sitting on the top rail of the line corral without a care in the world. 

He’d made the reservation for two weeks from tomorrow, Friday, and had spent over an hour planning the perfect menu. The restaurant itself was more Spanish in style, but he wanted some Greek food there as well, and once he had explained everything, at least everything he could to the chef, the man was more than happy to oblige. That did make this weekend trip a little problematic, but he’d already texted Jack that he needed help next week, serious help buying a ring. He hadn’t heard back, but he was certain that Jack would step in, after all, even he had agreed that they were perfect for one another. 

“Daniel, are you feeling ok? You keep spacing,” Adrienne was in his face again, concerned. 

“Yeah, I’m fine, wanna ride in the front?” he asked, hoping that would strike her fancy and she smiled taking him by the hand and leading him to the gates. 

She even got him to switch to his contacts after two rides, because of course she had brought them in her pack, popping them in for him herself after he had decided that the restrooms left much to be desired. 

“You two make me sick,” Vala hissed as Adrienne carefully held his eyelids open, the small piece of corrective plastic balanced on her fingertip.  

“You realize I did this before we were together right mon ami?” Adrienne pointed out, blinking at Daniel so he would mimic her which he did, adjusting the lenses. 

“You two made me sick then too,” she replied, her face changing as Ronon came out of the restroom himself, walking straight for her. 

“Ad, are you thinking what I’m thinking?” Daniel asked, pulling her aside before Cam and Teal’c rejoined them. 

“Sure Brain, but where we gonna find rubber pants in our size?” Adrienne answered smiling, making Daniel shake his head. 

“No sha, I am. I didn’t invite him. She did, and he hasn’t left her side,” she added, reaching up to wipe a tear escaping the corner of his eye caused by his newest ocular accessories. 

“That’s good,” Daniel answered quickly, seeing Cam making a beeline in their direction, “she deserves to be happy. Dex is a good guy.” 

“He is,” Adrienne agreed quietly, peering over her shoulder at the hand now rested there. 

“Next is the Volcano and that sounds insane!” Cam declared, pointing to a very large fake mountain in the near distance. 

“Cho! It’s called that?” Adrienne exclaimed, ripping the map from his hands and reading the description. 

“AdrienneRowan, Colonel Mitchell says that you erupt from the volcano in the same fashion as molten lava,” Teal’c explained, excitement in the old Jaffa’s face. 

“It uses a variation of a jet propulsion system rather than the traditional hill. You’re literally shot up into the volcano,” he said to Daniel, who lacked the privilege of a park map.  Adrienne was already rushing ahead to inform Vala and Ronon, the latter who seemed to be as equally as excited as Addy. 

“Hey honey!” Adrienne screamed out, using a new moniker he noted. 

“Yes!” 

“You’re gonna wanna close your eyes on this one. I only brought one pair of contacts!!” she continued. 

“What do you say to that?” Daniel asked Cam, who was already laughing as they approached the ride. 

*****
Adrienne insisted that they not ride the “Coaster of the Gods” as she was calling it, until last, explaining that if you ride the best ride too early on everything else just doesn’t seem as good. To be honest, Daniel didn’t see how anything could be better than that crazy volcano ride that ended up being much more fun that he had imagined. Yes, he screamed, he shouted and lifted Adrienne from the ground like some cheesy movie once they were down the exit platform. She was right, this was so exhilarating, and he hadn’t once thought about work, about things that they still needed to take care of at the townhouse, about the proposal, about Anubis. He’d almost completely forgotten about that until they walked by a stone structure covered in carvings representing different gods from different cultures and there he was, the jackal, on display in the dead center. Forcing himself to remember that it had been months now, months since they last had any sort of real contact, Daniel walked on, hand in hand with the woman he loved. 

 They roamed around the Congo area, rode a few more coasters, surprising Cam and Adrienne that this place had that many roller coasters, making their way down the midway through the games and various places to eat. They settled on pizza for lunch, Adrienne of course getting salad, laughing and talking like there was no life or death struggle to return home to. There were those thoughts again, that worry, but Daniel just stood from the table, going to refill his soda. 

After lunched they roamed down the midway, turning into an older part of the park, taking in a show at the main theatre, some teenagers singing and dancing to a selection of modern pop music, music of course Adrienne knew by heart. He sat there in the dark with his arm around her just like they were one of those teens themselves, enjoying the show and the closeness. 

The show wasn’t, however, everyone’s cup of tea, Teal’c, Cameron and Ronon deciding that they wanted to go back and do some bungee jumping experience, an experience Daniel refused to participate in. He came to this decision very quickly after watching one group of teens nearly vomit when they were unstrapped, that that was about the limit of his thrill seeking for the day. Adrienne passed, feeling awkward to be strapped to anyone other than Daniel, leaving Vala who did not seem interested in the least. Agreeing to meet back in thirty minutes, the three grown men dashed off, looking very much like three young boys. 

“Ok, so you guys wanna go hit the water rides?” Adrienne asked, eyeballing the map Cam had left her. 

“Can we ride that?” Vala asked, pointing to the one type of ride Adrienne had managed to avoid, stationary circles. 

“Be my guest,” the cajun responded, walking to take a seat on a nearby bench to wait. 

“But I don’t want to ride it alone, that’s boring,” Vala responded, looking over at Daniel. 

“Nuh uh,” he spoke up quickly, trying to come up with an excuse, “I’d like to keep down my lunch.” Making at face at both of them, Vala crossed her arms, staring them down. 

“You two will ride that crazy loop the loop shit and won’t do that! There’s a five year old on that ride for crying out loud!!? One ride will not kill you,” she argued, making a pitiful face. Dammit, Adrienne thought, I wonder if she;s hurt that Ronon didn’t stay behind with her. Trying to convey that thought to Daniel with her eyes, she glanced at him quickly, but it looked as though he was already reading her mind, turning to face her. 

“Rock, paper, scissors?” he suggested, playing off her obvious mood. Smiling, thankful he was so intuitive, Adrienne brought her fist to her hand, nodding to start the count off. 

“My count, one, two, three, throw,” she ordered, opening her hand for paper while Daniel had gone with rock. Disappointed, he looked right at her, his eyes pleading. 

“You don’t love me,” he whispered, standing to follow his now skipping friend. Adrienne let him get about five feet away when she stood, cupping her face. 

“Yes I do!! I love you Daniel!! Madly and passionately!” 

*****

“Why haven’t you asked her yet?” Vala started in the moment the “Soaring Eagle” as it was called, left the ground.

“Why is it any of your business?” he retorted, not wanting to have this conversation with her. Forget Vala being Adrienne’s bodyguard, she’d become Adrienne’s pitbull. 

“Because she’s my friend and I’m not going to let you break her heart,” she explained, turning the “beak” on the carriage, jerking their seats higher into the air, forcing Daniel to hold on lest he go slamming into his companion. 

“I’m not going to break her heart. I have everything under control,” he replied, taking the opportunity to check on said girlfriend, who was typing away furiously at her phone, not even looking in their direction. 

“You’d better not. You bought her a damn house, she’s shacking up with you and you can’t go buy a lousy rock?” she continued, jerking the handle in another direction sending Daniel flying to the opposite side of the car. 

“I did not buy her a house, I bought us a house. We’re not shacking up, we have moved in together, which I personally think is a smart thing to do before committing yourself to a lifetime with someone else. Sometimes there can be chemistry but when you put it to test in the real world, it doesn’t work,” he spat, cutting his eyes as she slammed the handle a third time, sending him flying into her. 

“Alright, but I don’t ever want to see her crying like that again, understand?” Vala hissed, turning the beak to slam him back, but he caught himself this time, keeping his glare on her. 

“Crystal clear Vala, crystal. By the way, does Dex know you’ve dedicated your life to nosing in mine and Adrienne’s relationship? You’d think he’d like to know that that much of your attention was dedicated elsewhere,” Daniel growled, not liking her tone. He knew what he had done was wrong, he knew how much it had hurt Adrienne and he would never forgive himself. He didn’t need Vala reminding him on a daily basis how much of an asshole he could be, he did that enough himself. They rode in silence for the rest of the ride, not speaking as they exited, heading straight for Adrienne, who was looking at them smiling. 

“Fun?” she asked, looking to Vala. 

“Loads. Glasses is such a good time. Can we go find the boys?” she asked, walking back in the direction of the bungee jump and leaving her friends behind. 

“What got into her?” Adrienne asked, peeking back at Daniel confused. 

“Reality,” he responded, gripping her hand to pull her to follow. 

*****


By the time they were back at the diner Cam had texted them about, the three were sitting at a table, laughing happily about their little adventure, drinking milkshakes. Seeing them enter, well seeing Vala enter as she had stormed in front of them the entire time, Cam waved to a cute little teenaged girl in skates who smiled and nodded, heading for the kitchen. 

“Chocolate ok?” Ronon asked, looking to Vala to see that is was alright. Good, Daniel thought, keep her the hell out of my future marriage. 

“Perfect, so what now Cam? What does your stupid map say we do next?” she spat as she took the seat beside Ronon, leaving one chair left at the end of the table. Noticing, Teal’c stood, offering his seat to Adrienne, but she refused, sitting quietly on Daniel’s lap as he reached out for her. 

“My stupid map,” he started, answering smartly, “says that we only have the big one to ride and then fireworks at dark. After that, I suggest we head back. I feel like a lobster.” Taking a second look at the colonel, Adrienne noted his fair complexion was looking pink, pausing to look at her own pale cajun skin which was as equally flushed. 

“No wonder I got the faiblesse,” she said, hoping Daniel didn’t know that meant to faint, otherwise he would kick into worry overdrive, but he must not have, since he only rubbed her leg lightly. She heard Teal’c telling some one thank you and glanced up to see the young girl on skates again, three milkshakes on a tray, each in a paper cup. 

“The line’s long, so I got these to go,” the colonel explained, standing to lead the group to their final destination. 

*****

She barely made it through the first thirty minutes of the movie Daniel ordered to the room but he was glad. Adrienne might have been in ridiculously good shape, but she was sunburnt and dehydrated from today and needed sleep. He decided since he had paid for it, he would leave the movie on, holding her in his arms while he did. 

The Intimidator had been a blast and while he didn’t black out on the turn like she swore he would, it did give him a bit of a rush, so much so that he rode it with her two more times. It was dark by the end of the third time, thankfully, his body reminding him that he was not twenty years old anymore, so they headed to the fireworks, sitting on a bench together, Adrienne wrapped in his arms like she was right now. 

He’d honestly lost track of what was happening in the film, his thoughts on his dinner plans in two weeks. He had a place, he was going to buy a ring next week, he just needed a way to ask. Should he put it in a glass of champagne? Nah, too cliche, he thought. Maybe he could have it brought out in some elaborate display? Should he just pocket it and get down on one knee at the table? 

“I don’t even know what to say,” he admitted out loud, gazing down at her as she slept in his arms, her chest moving gently as she lightly snored. Smiling, he sat up a bit, laying her carefully onto her side, covering her, adjusting her, making sure she was comfortable. 

“Adrienne Rowan, will you marry me?” he whispered, analyzing his own words. 

“No, it’s got to be better than that,” he sighed, laying down and turning off the TV, hoping something would come to him in his sleep, or tomorrow, during Adrienne’s planned shopping adventure. 

*****

“Sir, we are approaching our destination,” the voice behind him stated, making him look up from the diagrams on his monitor. Glancing at the time keeper at the top of the screen he noted that they were ahead of schedule, giving him plenty of time to get things in order. 

“Excellent, take us into a low orbit around their moon,” he ordered, tapping the display to bring up the image of the planet ahead, closing his graphs, charts and notes. 

“Almost time to play,” he hissed, using his fingers to zero in on a large green land mass. 

2 comments:

  1. Ta ta ta taaaaaa!!! Fun and suspenseful. Nice break before you torture them a bit more--mwahaha. BTW, do you know it is only a 3-hour train ride to NYC from DC? Just sayin' (that's my amusement park--so many museums, so little time...) :D Solstice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun little interlude! But still with a warning that they are still in jeopardy. Vala is being annoying--I hope Ronon gives her something else to think about... On to Anubis, I guess! *scared!*

    ReplyDelete