About this page

I am a late comer on this ship, I know. I pretty much was turned onto Stargate when I was injured (for my own stupidity I assure you) and I took to the Netflix to find something to occupy myself. I discovered that one of my favorite movies of all time had been made into a TV show, so I started to watch. And fell in love. With Daniel Jackson. Madly. Not just Michael Shanks (although I am fairly certain that he is a Grecian God - oh dear lord....) but the character himself. Then came seasons 9 and 10 and I was just upset by the whole thing. I love Claudia Black and the scenes were fun, but really? Her? That is what they decided he would end up with? Ugh. I mean really, what would they talk about, ever? So, I made him someone. This is your warning. This is sorta a Mary Sue. Sorta because a Mary Sue is Ms. Perfect and while Adrienne seems perfect at first she is NOT. By a stretch. She needs someone like him as bad as he needed someone like her. This is their love story.

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Daniel & Adrienne #53 - Preparations


“He did WHAT?!!?” Jack exclaimed as Sam pulled him into a side hallway, away from the curious eyes of the others. Her husband stood there, shaking his head, a look of complete and total shock on his face.  

“He didn’t do anything Jack, Daniel’s a grown man. And keep your voice down, she doesn’t even know yet,” Sam scolded, checking behind her shoulder to see if anyone had heard, but the group was just sitting there, waiting, except for Vala who was standing off to the side with Ronon, explaining to him and that Atlantis crew what they knew. At this point that wasn’t much, Carolyn had come out and said that Adrienne was alive, whisking Daniel away to tell him what Sam had just learned herself.  

“She’s pregnant, Sam, pregnant. Jackson’s managed to knock up his assistant!! This is a new level of disaster, and that’s saying a lot for Daniel!”  the general hissed, thankfully not screaming, although he did draw looks from the Atlantis crew, Teyla in particular picking up on his mood and approaching them. The blood vessel in his neck was bulging as he looked at his wife in disbelief at how calm she was given everything that had just happened.

“She’s his girlfriend Jack, stop acting like this is a surprise. They live together. They bought a home together.  He’s going to propose to her ok, yeah, this is a little sudden but I think this is more than just knocking up his assistant. Can’t you be happy for him?” Sam spat, slamming her hands to her hips, refusing to back down. Daniel deserved this, he deserved a chance at a family and Sam needed her husband’s support when the IOA found out and went hysterical, in fact, Sam was still trying to assure Woolsey that their living together was not going to affect day to day operations. 

“Alright, well, I guess they’re both doing well, stable?  She and the baby, right?”  Jack finally asked, shaking his head, giving in. Sam smiled, she knew he would, he liked Adrienne and he seemed to like them together, so she really just needed him to cam down.

“Yes, Dr. Lam says so, everything looks normal and stable.  Daniel won’t leave her side though; she still hasn’t woken up and he just keeps holding the folder and looking at it and then her,” Sam answered, the vision of Daniel at Adrienne’s bedside coming back. He’d evidently asked Dr. Lam to tell Sam, glancing up at her with a look of worry on his face, worry that she couldn’t explain.

“What does he think? You know, about.... it?” Jack continued.  

“The baby hun, not it  I’m not sure, I really didn’t talk to him, Dr. Lam pulled me into her office and told me and said to tell you but not to say anything to anyone else until Adrienne wakes up, but he’s there, quiet,”  she replied hoping her husband would read between the lines.  Nodding, Jack crossed his arms and then uncrossed them, with a huff, unbuttoning the dress uniform jacket his position required that he wear.  He undid the last button and pulled the annoying garment off of his shoulders, handing it over to Sam.  

“Ok, take this stupid thing, honey, please. I’m going to go talk to him,” Jack stated, to Sam’s relief, heading back for the infirmary right past the large contingent of friends and teammates who were waiting outside.

“General, can you tell us what’s going on?” Cameron stepped forward and asked, John falling in behind him for an answer. 

“Nope,” Jack replied, soldiering on.

“O’Neill, will AdrienneRowan awaken?” Teal’c asked, thinking that was a better question leaving Jack only a yes or no option. 

“Yep,” Jack answered, pushing open the infirmary door.  

“Is she horribly scarred?” Vala chimed in from Ronon’s side, everyone stopping and staring in her direction. 

“What?! Daniel’s been in there for a while, I just thought that maybe she was horribly....” she stopped talking, realizing that ever last one of her friends, Ronon included, was glaring at her. 

“Look, everything is going to be fine, Adrienne is going to be fine. Daniel’s in there dealing with post-mission nonsense, debriefing and other shit.  Go back to your quarters, the gym, where ever you came for or where ever you can go and I’ll let you know when I know something,” Jack said standing at the open door.  Looking at one another, not moving for just a moment, the group stood seeming to have no intentions of leaving. 

“Get!!” he ordered, shooing them away with his hands, turning to push the entrance again. Looking ahead, Jack continued through the door, not needing direction, walking right back to where he saw Daniel, sitting beside Adrienne holding her hand, a lost look on his face.

“Any sign?” Jack asked, staring down at the cajun, thinking that this was the quietest he’d ever seen the woman in the two years he had known her. 

“She stirred a bit an hour ago, but she’s still asleep.  Dr. Lam says that’s actually a good sign, a sign that her body knows what to do to repair itself,” Daniel answered, staring up at Jack. He could see that his friend had been crying, again, but Jack decided now was not to time to harass him about that.  There were other things that needed to be discussed and Daniel’s new tendency to actual show emotion was not one of them.

“Congratulations,” Jack said, pulling a chair over to sit beside him as Daniel looked back at Adrienne rubbing his thumb along her palm.  

“It’s funny.  I never thought about having kids.  Ever.  Kasuf would harass Shar’e and I on a daily basis, but the thought just never really appealed to me.  It just doesn’t seem real,” Daniel answered honestly, not taking his gaze from his love for one moment.  

“It doesn’t. Not even when they hand you the screaming bloody thing for the first time,” Jack joked, trying to lighten the mood. 

Taking his eyes off of Adrienne, Daniel looked at Jack again and remembered.  The general never talked about his son, the one he lost, the one that made him agree to go on the original suicide mission to kill Ra.  Daniel didn’t know what to say, feeling he should say something, but just sat there, starting to stammer wordlessly until Jack read his mind, shaking his head and reaching out for his friend. 

“We can’t change the past Daniel, it’s alright. We just have to look forward. When she wakes up you two are going to have a lot of talking to do,” Jack continued, pulling his hand back offering a smile of comfort to his friend.  

Nodding, Daniel finally pulled away from his assistant, removing his glasses and setting them over on the side table, rubbing his eyes. Jack went to stand, sensing that Daniel really didn’t want to talk until he had spoken to Adrienne, which Jack could understand, when he felt a hand at his arm, looking down to see Daniel, eyes pleading, halting his exit.

“Jack?” he asked, his voice trembling. Sliding his hand away, O’Neill sat back down, leaning forward onto his knees.

“What if she doesn’t want it?” Daniel asked, his words breaking, cracking, the fear apparent as he spoke.

“She might not want it? You two have never talked about that?” Jack questioned, not understanding Daniel’s concern, after all, the girl was crazy and punky, but he really didn’t see her as the type of terminate a pregnancy, but apparently there was something that Daniel knew that he didn’t. 

“Not really.  I thought we were pretty careful, she was careful, she’s been taking, well, never mind. Jack, it’s not that I’m upset or anything, I’m not, quite the opposite, but I don’t want to get my hopes up, I’m just, I’m, I’m just terrified,” Daniel rambled, confused,  obviously at a complete and total loss as to what he should do and Jack smiled, understanding, a part of him still so shocked to see his friend behaving in this way. What had this woman done to him. 

“Daniel, honestly, I’ve never in my life met two people that were more made for each other like you and Dr. Perky, but don’t you tell Sam that I said that.  I think you will find her reaction when she wakes up to be pretty much what you’re thinking right now, the happy part I mean,” Jack assured him, standing again. 

“Thanks,” Daniel said quietly, not looking up any longer, his attention directed back at Adrienne. 

“Let me know when she wakes up,” Jack added, turning and silently leaving the infirmary.  

Alone again, Daniel scooted his chair closer so he could lay his head on her chest, holding her hand tightly in his own as he cuddled into her, relishing in her warmth and the smooth rhythm of her heartbeat.  Closing his eyes, he tried to sleep, his only solution to passing the time, the horrible endless waiting until he could hear her voice again, get the reassurance that he wanted that she was alright. 

He must have fallen asleep, as he was awakened to shaking under his head, violently trembling, and his head darted up, his eyes adjusting, seeing Adrienne trying to sit, shivering her teeth chattering, but awake, she was awake.  

“It’s so cold,” he heard her say through clacking teeth, her fingers reaching for his hair.  

“DOCTOR!!” he yelled and sat up quickly, looking for a blanket, holding her hand, not letting go for one moment. Scanning the room, he found one folded on a cart in the corner, squeezing her hand to tell her that he wasn’t leaving her, that he was just going to fulfill her request, racing over to grab it and hurriedly cover Adrienne up.  Finally able to make eye contact, locking his own blue eyes on her deep perfect brown, he brought his face to hers, kissing her cheek, holding her and the blanket to her.  

“Back up,” Dr. Lam ordered and Daniel did reluctantly as a medical team flurried over Adrienne. Pushed aside, he stood back, arms crossed in worry.  He couldn’t make out very well what was going on, so he scooted over and grabbed his glasses from the small side table and put them back on, craning his neck to see what they were doing but as he did, the medical staff slowed their work, backing up and heading back to their tasks. Smiling, Dr. Lam turned to face Daniel, tilting her head at Adrienne.

“She’s awake, and cold.  Just be gentle,” she said,placing her hand on his arm, leaving herself to attend to other matters.  The area cleared and there was Adrienne, awake and smiling at him the best she could.  

“I guess getting in here to keep me warm is out of the question?” she joked.  

“No, not if you want me to,” he answered, quickly leaning over to remove his boots and Adrienne laughed, that sparkle thankfully back in her eyes.

“I’m just kidding sha, it’s ok,” she said sweetly, holding up her hand to stop him, but her voice, it killed him, it was so calm and quiet, so unlike her.

“Can I get you anything ja-wer?” he sat back down as requested, asking, grabbing her hand again to hold it in his own, gazing in her eyes.  

“Food, I’m starving,” she answered, smiling, “real food, please.”  

“Anything,” he replied, standing, but her face changed, Adrienne changing her mind, pulling him back to her.  

“No, don’t go, don’t leave me,” she said, that confidence in her face breaking, no longer able to be strong. He reached his other hand over to hers, squeezing tightly as she started to cry. 

“Please don’t leave me, ever again, please, I didn’t know if you’d find me, if he’d kill me, if he’d kill you.  Next time I promise, I’ll let you take a sick day, I won’t be stubborn and stupid, just don’t leave me,” the words tumbled out of her mouth, Adrienne now sobbing. Disregarding her earlier protest, Daniel stood and lifted her over slightly, so he could get into the hospital bed with her.  He crawled in, sitting himself behind her, pulling her gently into his arms so that he was completely wrapped around her.  

“Never, Adrienne, I will never leave you again,” he said as he kissed her head, “I am so sorry.” She didn’t answer, just turned her body slightly to rest her head on his chest, laying there quietly for a moment, listening to his breath, his heartbeat, feeling better already lying in his arms when the urge hit her and she started to heave.  Sitting up quickly, Daniel reached forward to grab a small tray for her to throw up into, knowing that this was, Dr. Lam confirming the entire reason she had stayed home that day.  She took it quickly and sat it between her legs, her body convulsing, but nothing came up, which didn’t surprise him as there was nothing in her stomach to expel.  Breathing in, she let herself calm, her eyes making contact with his own, pitifully, searching for answers.

“What did Dr. Lam say that he did to me?” she asked, concerned at the distinct difference between this and her earlier sickness, this fit feeling much stronger. 

“Nothing, he didn’t do anything, it hurts more because you haven’t eaten anything, but he didn’t do anything to you that we can tell.  You were just the prize of a sick giant treasure hunt,” Daniel answered, remembering the ordeal once more, deciding to leave out how Anubis had essentially left her to die a slow painful death in a place he never thought Daniel would find her. 

“Well, there’s got to be something wrong with me.  I thought it was just the junk food, but that’s all gone now, I know that is out of my system but my head is killing me and now I feel like I’m going to vomit but I’m so hungry.  What tests did she run on me?”  Adrienne asked, not yet putting the pieces together. He took a breath and looked over at the folder on the desk with his eyes only, so that Adrienne wouldn’t notice, his heart racing, trying to figure out how he would tell her. They had never mentioned the word baby, other than a misunderstanding with Chaka, since they had gotten together and the times she mentioned it when they were friends being a parent was something she was dead set against. She had, however, also been dead set against marriage and now she was quite literally waiting for a ring, so maybe everything would be alright...

“Daniel,” she whispered, looking him straight in the eyes, noticing his pause, his silence, “what’s wrong with me?” she asked, scared, lightly trembling in his arms. Turning his body so that she was not craning back so much to see him, Daniel leaned in, kissing her gently on the lips and backed up again, breathing out slowly. Tell her, he thought, tell her and tell her that you want this. 

“Daniel, you’re scaring me,” she added, her bottom lip quivering as she tried to bite it still. Swallowing, he reached around her again, pulling her tight into his arms, kissing her head.

“Adrienne, I love you, more than I have ever loved someone before,” he started, stopping to take another deep breath. She looked at him terrified but didn’t say a word, just let him speak, or try to, holding her even closer before bringing his lips to her ear.

“Adrienne, you’re pregnant,” he paused, thinking he needed to clarify lest she come to the same conclusion as him, “we’re pregnant,” he kissed her lightly, awaiting her response, but she didn’t say anything at first, just turned to face him.  

“How long?” she asked, no emotion in her face, nothing, making Daniel almost lose it right then and there. She doesn’t want it, he thought, she wants to....  

“Dr. Lam said about 10 weeks, not enough to show any weight gain or anything,” Daniel tried to explain, forced himself to keep talking, hoping that she wouldn’t say what he was terrified to hear. Not saying another word Adrienne looked down at her stomach mesmerized, touching it lightly before gazing back up at Daniel. 

“Did Anubis hurt, it?” she asked, not sure what else to call it, the baby? Was it even a baby yet?

“Not that we can tell, no, everything looks perfect,” Daniel replied, trying to convey his excitement, hoping she could see in his eyes that he wanted this, he never knew before but he wanted this more than anything. 

“I’m sorry,” she said, though, confusing him completely, leaning forward and starting to cry.

“Adrienne, why are you sorry?” Daniel turned her face to his wiping the tears from her eyes, confused when it hit him. She doesn’t want it, he thought, dear god she doesn’t want it. 

“Because, I mean, you had this entire life, this career, and I’ve just came in and messed it up, I messed everything up. I guess we need to decide what to do, and, I, Daniel, I wa,” she rambled a bit more and just kept crying, shaking her head, trembling in fear. 

“Adrienne, look at me, look at me,” he grabbed her face, bringing it to his own, ordering that she open her eyes, “What do you want to do?” he asked, holding his breath for the answer. It’s her body, her choice, he told himself, holding his emotions in check to let her say it. 

“Daniel, I, “ she cried harder, “I’m sorry, but,” now he began to shake, “ I want it. I want to keep it.” 

Shocked, he looked up at her, a smile spreading across his face. 

“You want it?” he asked, hoping he heard her right, his heart already leaping, his mind replaying the words over and over in his head. 

“Yea,” she sniffed in, “I’m sorry, but I love you so much, more than I ever thought I could love someone and we made this life, this person, together. I just can’t throw that away.” 

Breathing out, he drew her back into her arms and kissed her head again, holding her tightly to his chest.

“I want it too,” he whispered in her ear.

“You do?” she said, pulling away, looking into his eyes, for some reason not believing him. 

“Yea, I do.  I think we can do this,” he assured her and she began to laugh, leaning back to let him hold her, sucking in her tears. 

“What?” he asked, wrapping his arms around her and kissing her cheek softly. 

“We’re gonna be someone’s parents,” she replied, tilting her head back smiling. 

“That poor child,” Daniel joked.  

*****

Daniel was knocking on Sam’s door quietly, trying not to let his friends and teammates know that he had finally left the infirmary. He had every right to show the emotion that he had, he had almost lost the love of his life, yet somehow he still didn’t feel comfortable just yet with all of them having seen him weep for so long.  

“It’s open,” he heard her shout, so he let himself in, carefully peering around the corner. Appearing very busy, she turned to greet her visitor and saw it was Daniel, instantly put down the folder, leaping from her seat, running over to him and hugging him tightly.  

“I don’t know what to say, but you’re smiling so I assume congratulations is just fine,” she looked at him with a smile herself from ear to ear.  

“Thanks, yea, which is why I need to talk to you, if you have a sec,” he said. 

“Always,” she replied, returning to her desk, indicating that Daniel take a seat in the chair as she sat on the corner. 

“This is all happening so fast,” he said and Sam giggled, “In nine months, wow, less than that, I’m going to be someone’s father.”  

“Yes you are,” Sam assured.  

“Well, we have the townhouse, so I think we’ll just have to share an office like we do here at work, which won’t be any big deal,” Daniel continued, but seemed to be talking to himself, planning, going over everything in his head, Sam trying her hardest not to tease him as he went into that zone that he went into when he was working on something.  

“I’d be happy to help with the nursery,” Sam offered instead, knowing what he was thinking, how all of this was so completely out of order and unplanned.   

“Nursery, god it’s like an entire new language,” Daniel laughed, reaching under his glasses to pinch his nose. 

“It is...I remember my brother and his wife going through this exact same thing.  In fact, they might still have some things they would be willing to let go of; I’d be happy to ask,” Sam replied.  

“Thanks, yes, because I’m totally lost right now.  But furnishing aside, there is something else I wanted to talk to you about,” Daniel said.  

“I’m listening,” Sam closed the lid to her laptop so he would know that he had her full attention. 

“At the risk of completely setting Adrienne down a course of “I am not a 1950’s woman rant”, which I do realize is 100% possible, I think considering that we have purchased a home together and she is going to be the mother of my child, oh wow that sounds weird coming out of my mouth, I think I should probably just scrap my plans from earlier and well, I think I need to,” he paused, awkwardly, which made no sense as Sam knew his intentions all along but talking and planning was one thing, actually having to do it was definitely another. 

“Propose?” Sam finished for him, smiling.  

“Yeah,” he nodded his head, Sam giggling lightly.  

“And you mean now, today,” Sam clarified, Daniel nodding.

“Yes, well, as soon as possible,” he replied, trembling. Dear god Daniel, this is it, no more stalling, no more over planning, you’re going to do this and do it now.

“What do you need? I thought you had been making plans,” Sam asked, vaguely remembering something from Jack about having to help Daniel shop for a ring but with the kidnapping and everything not a word had been spoken since. 

“I had, I did, but that is still over two weeks away and it just seems wrong to wait, considering, well, considering the baby. It’s typical us, completely screwed up, out of order, but I need to make this right.” he said.  

“Well, I think her saying yes is pretty much a definite, fancy proposal or not. She loves you very much,” Sam answered and Daniel nodded, taking another breath.

“Ok, then I guess I need to go shopping.  I don’t want to rush her, but I know her well enough where if she’s “fat” in a wedding dress, well, let’s just say it will not be pleasant to live with that for the rest of my life,”  he joked, hearing her words in his head.

“Go then! Mandatory week rest after a mission like that anyway,”  she ordered, laughing, standing to pull him from the chair and send him on his way. Smiling, decision made, feeling confident, he stood and then sat again, gazing up at Sam. 

“Ok so time to be honest. I made a dinner reservation, but that’s it, I don’t have a ring, I don’t know what kind of ring I want, what kind she wants, how to ask, I just have no idea,” he sighed, resting his head in his hands. 

“I think we can fix that,” Sam replied, picking up her phone, smiling.

*****

“We just got back to normal, Addy almost died, I broke three nails in the gym this morning, what in the world could you possibly need!?!” Vala demanded as she entered Sam’s office, slamming the opening door into the wall. Grinning, Sam pointed at Daniel who was still seated, sitting sheepishly in the chair at the other side of her desk.

“Daniel needs your help,” Sam stated.  

“Since when?” Vala retorted, shoving her hands to her hips.

“Since I know nothing about jewelry,” Daniel answered, trying to be nice, especially after telling her only a little over a week ago that she needed to stay out of their relationship.   

“Barf, I don’t want to help you do something sweet. You can crash and burn all by yourself,” Vala answered, evidently remembering that conversation as well, Adrienne lying in the infirmary or not. 

Annoyed, Daniel looked over at Sam and rolled his eyes, getting ready to beg her to call Jack again, get him out of that stupid meeting that he was in, when Sam stood and walked over to Vala, placing her hand on her shoulder. 

“Vala, have you talked to Adrienne yet?” she asked, removing her hand.

“Yeah, but she didn’t have a lot to say and she was puking and I can’t take that,”  Vala answered, “He should be taking care of that,” she spat as she pointed at Daniel, “And anyway, why aren’t you in there if she’s sick?”  

“She’s not sick Vala,” Daniel answered, willing himself not to just start screaming at her stupid little act. 

“I think vomiting is a clear indication of sick Daniel,”  Vala retorted. Seeking support, Daniel looked over at Sam, who was cutting her eyes at him. Ok thanks for the back-up Sam, he thought, taking a breath and peering back at Vala. 

“Vala,” Daniel started, “Adrienne’s pregnant. It’s morning sickness.”  

“Oh my god, you got her pregnant!!” she shouted. Sighing, Daniel put his head in his hands and moved them down to his mouth, rubbing his face quickly before looking back up at her.  

“Yes Vala, I got her pregnant, you want to put it that way, fine,” he looked over at Sam, “Are you sure you can’t help? Jack can’t get out of whatever he is in right now?” Daniel pleaded with Sam, his eyes doing as much begging as his words. 

“I would love to, you all can call me if you get stuck, I’ll do my best to answer, but Vala is better at this sort of thing,” Sam replied, smiling. Better at what, driving me insane, Daniel wanted to ask but refrained. 

“Better at what?” she crossed her arms now, not as snotty, but intrigued. Nothing bout this is ever going to go my way, he thought, shaking his head and giving up.  

“Vala, I need you to help me pick out an engagement ring for Adrienne, today. I need one today,” Daniel explained, breathy out deeply as he did, waiting her reaction.   

“Really?” she clarified, dropping her arms, her tone changing completely, in fact, she actually seemed flattered. 

“Yes, you and Adrienne go shopping together a lot and you know more about things like that, so, yes, will you come and help me? I know it might be awkward but I would really appreciate it,”  Daniel told her sincerely.  

Contemplating for a moment, Vala stood there running her gaze between Sam and Daniel. Yeah, he’s screwed this up royally, screwed up everything royally, she wasn’t quite sure how her friend dealt with him. If anything, Addy needed her to step in and save all of this before it became a complete and total mess. 

“Let’s go Blue Eyes,” she answered, smiling, reaching over and dragging him out of the office.  

*****

When they arrived at the jewelry store, Vala already had a plan, which really shouldn’t have surprised Daniel. 

“Is this one better than the others?” Daniel asked having noted that he had passed by at least five jewelry stores to get here, each of which seemed to be a carbon copy of the last. 

“Of course; this is my favorite!” she replied as he pulled the Jeep into a free spot, Vala leaping out excitedly, dashing inside, leaving him behind, gaping at her. Daniel, considerably more nervous shut off the car, locked his doors and followed, his thoughts a mile a minute. What would Adrienne think? He couldn’t believe that she actually wanted to keep the baby, that she actually wanted to have a child with him, that she wanted to raise a child with him, but this however was different. Proposing, after this, would accelerate the process, speed up the engagement, the wedding, everything and he wasn’t exactly sure how she would react. Doubts racing through his head, he stopped at the front door, seeing that Vala was already at the counter talking to a small over-friendly blond woman who was acting as if she knew Vala very well.  What have I gotten myself into, Daniel thought, pulling the handle and letting himself in.   

“There he is, slowpoke,” Vala said to the giggling woman as Daniel entered the door, a giggling woman who was now looking in his direction. 

“And he’s your friend?” the woman asked with a tone of uncertainty in her voice and a glimmer in her eye.  

“Yes, and he’s going to propose to another friend.  Always the bridesmaid, never the bride,” Vala answered, rolling her eyes playfully. She sounded different too, she hadn’t made one sexual joke and oddly, that made Daniel feel very uncomfortable.  

“Hi,” he said as he approached the counter, looking down into the case, a distinct difference in distance he had put between himself and real rings hiding in the lab scouring websites. There had to have been close to two hundred diamond rings, each laid our carefully in it’s own little display, waiting for some lucky guy like himself to come in and declare that it was the one. They were all shapes, sizes and colors, which surprised him since he had no idea that diamonds came in any other color than clear, he hadn’t seen anything other than clear online.  He laughed to himself seeing that there were brown diamonds called ‘chocolate’ considering that for a moment, just to see Adrienne’s reaction.  The blond woman must have noticed, because he felt a light touch on his hand and heard another giggle in his direction. 

“Ahh... he must have seen something he likes,” she said, looking over at Vala.  

“Oh, no,” Daniel answered, “just saw something that reminded me of something funny, that’s all,” he added, because joke or not, that wasn’t the ring, none of those were. He’d know it when he saw it. Seeing this an an invitation to proceed, the woman leaned over the counter at him, smiling brightly, trying to get his attention. Daniel saw and stood upright, reaching for the outstretched hand being offered. 

“Well, let’s get to know each other better, I’m Holly and you are?” she asked happily.  Holly seemed to want to make this an event and not just let him select a ring but he guessed this was just all part of the process. 

“Daniel,” he answered and took her hand, shaking it quickly and letting go, returning his gaze to the sea of diamonds in front of him. 

“Overwhelming isn’t it?’ she asked, standing up from the counter and backing up as if she wanted to overwhelm him further by the contents of the case, all the while Vala was just looking at him with that stupid huge goofy grin on her face.  

“Just a bit,” he joked, eliminating another row, labeled ‘Princess’ cut. If Adrienne  took the time to look up rings, which considering the magazine he now had stowed in his bag she probably did, anything that made her a ‘Princess’ was out. 

“Alright,” Holly said, sensing it was time to begin, “Do you know what you’re looking for?” 

“An engagement ring,” Daniel answered quickly, both women erupting into laughter. He cursed Sam for not coming with him, why were they laughing, how in the world would he have any idea what he was doing, it’s not like he’d done this before, what man had done this before??  He should have called Jack himself, begged, Jack had done this twice, ok yeah some men did this multiple times, not that he hadn’t himself it was just, well, different, but...

Daniel stopped, calming his nerves, taking a deep breath before looking back up at the nice sales woman, the confusion on his face something he was unable to hide. 

“Let’s back up a bit, tell me about your girlfriend,” Holly suggested, leaning forward onto her elbows on the counter in a rather flirtatious manner.  No wonder Vala liked this place, Daniel thought, if this woman is any indication of the rest of the sales staff, these people are right up her alley. Pausing for a moment, Daniel tried to figure out where to begin. Should he talk about her Southern roots? Her love of Ancient Cultures? The way her eyes sparkled when she discovered something new or the way she would tap her tongue ring to her teeth when she was nervous? There was so much about Adrienne that made her the most unique and special individual that he had ever met, but he had no idea what this woman was looking for, so he decided to start at the beginning. 

“Her name is Adrienne. Adrienne Margaret, but she hates Margaret, she never even met the relative that came from, so I only call her that to annoy her.  Not that I like to annoy her, I mean I do, but in a playful way, we kind of live to torment one another...” 

Daniel didn’t notice but Vala was smiling, his eyes instead gazing ahead at the woman as he continued his speech. 

“She’s about five foot eight, but for our friend circle that’s actually short, so everyone refers to her as little, or girlie, but she really isn’t which is just kind of ironic.  She has dark brown hair, shoulder length that she won’t dye anymore, but she tells me all of the time that she kept it pink and green and god only knows what other colors for years, but I’ve never seen a picture so I am not sure how colorful it really was, she could just be teasing me, like I said, she does that a lot...” he rambled on, Holly now smiling and starting to scan the glass case. 

“She has brown eyes, really dark brown eyes, but not plain like a lot of women with darker eyes, their color is so rich it looks manufactured. I used to think it was her contact lenses, but no, they’re really that color, they’re, well, mesmerizing and her skin is pale, like the traditional French Cajuns, she’s cajun, from New Orleans too, you should hear her talk when she is mad, it is hysterical...” 

“Her favorite color is yellow or neon orange, she says they are both too perfect to choose between.  It would be black according to her, but black’s not a color, it’s the combination of all other colors, so the others work by default.  Her bug is yellow, it’s a 1965, and it is her child, literally, she takes care of it like it’s a person. She loves it more than anything, sometimes I worry more than me to be honest...” 

This time both women laughed lightly as Daniel, continued, on a roll, doing what he did best: talk.  

“She’s really active, so I can’t get anything too big because she wouldn’t wear it and she’s lecture me on practically and starving children. She runs, like 2-5 miles a day and does big races, half marathons and trying to do a full marathon, it makes no sense for a person to run that much. Oh, and she fights, Martial Arts fighting I mean, not like bar brawling but real talent, trained.  She can take me in about 2 minutes, which is a bit disconcerting I can assure you, but she’s not masculine, not at all. She’ s just beautiful and her strength just makes her more beautiful...” 

You found her Daniel, he thought, his heart surging, you’ve found the most perfect person in the world and this is real, this is more real than the house, you are buying a ring, she is going to have your child, this is really happening...

“She has a PhD in Hellenistic Cultures, Classics,  but style wise she loves Greece over Rome.  She calls Rome the New Jersey of the Ancient World, sorry I hope you’re not from New Jersey, she just hates that place for some reason....” he trailed again, trying to think if there was anything else that he needed to add all the while Vala trying not to laugh.  

“Anything else?” Holly asking, smiling brightly, her cheeks a tad flushed from the explosion of personal information that had just been poured out to her by this very handsome and very nervous man. 

“Not that I can think of,” Daniel replied.  

“OK, I think we’re ready to begin,” Holly giggled, taking the key from her wrist and unlocking the cabinet.  

*****

Two hours later, they left the store, Daniel exceedingly more nervous than before, climbing carefully into the jeep, a small bagged tightly clenched in his right hand, he paused, looking at Vala as she got into the passenger side. 

“I can’t do this,” he said, his hand holding the key in place, unable to slip it into the ignition, shaking just enough to cause a jingle.  

“Why not?” Vala asked, making a face at him completely confused after his two hour analysis of diamond cuts and contrasts how he could be sitting here claiming he couldn’t do it. 

“Because this is supposed to be romantic and perfect, like I’d planned, I made reservations, at a place it is damn near impossible to get reservations at, I was trying to make this so perfect for her, everything she could have never expected, but, I can’t do any of that now.  She almost died Vala, Carolyn said that only reason she didn’t was because of, well, because of my contribution and she’s too concerned about the baby’s safety to discharge Adrienne for at least a week, if not longer. That ruins everything, and after all that she as been through, I get to go offer her a piece of jewelry in a hospital bed,” he sighed, still not starting the car.  

“Then don’t,” Vala said simply, blowing off his entire rant. 

“Don’t ask her!?!” Daniel asked incredulously, angry, trying to figure out what insanity Vala was suggesting now. 

“No dummy, you just spent a small fortune on an engagement ring for her,” Vala retorted, rolling her eyes, “I mean, don’t ask her in the infirmary.” 

“Were you listening to me? Dr. Lam is making her remain on bed rest for at least a week, maybe more, and this can’t wait, it’s just not right, considering our situation. I need to show her that I am committed to this, one hundred percent,” Daniel tried to explain delicately, his own mind racing as he started to prepare the possible adverse reactions that Adrienne might have at this proposal. 

“Oh, big deal, she’s preggo, who cares? Half the base can’t understand why you two took so long to get together anyway, but, if you’re impatient to ask, then you need to be creative. She can’t leave base, fine, can she leave the infirmary?” Vala asked.  

“Maybe, I guess I need to find that out,” Daniel asked as he finally started the car committing to his decision: he was going to do this. 

“You’re impossible,” Vala responded, watching Daniel chew his lips nervously, backing up the car, frowning. This is why he and Addy are perfect for one another, she thought, for as smart as they both are they are complete and total idiots. Grunting, she reached over for his pocket, slipping her hand into his jeans.

“What are you doing?” he jumped back from her grasp, nearly veering the car into the other lane. 

“Getting your damn phone; you can’t just march up in there and ask out loud, it will ruin everything!” Vala pulled her hand back but displayed her palm open, silently requesting the phone.  Frowning, he really needs a new expression Vala thought, he reached into his pocket, passing it over to her, readjusting himself in the seat and on the road.  Still laughing at him, she started to search through the contacts to find the SGC number, tapping the screen lightly and bringing the phone to her ear.  

“Dr. Lam’s office please.  Thank you,” Vala requested, looking over at Daniel, “Get in the left lane.”

“Where are we going?”  Daniel asked but did as requested, relieved that at least one of them had a plan.  

“You’ll find out, it’s about three blocks away, just stay in this lane until I tell you otherwise,” she ordered.  

*****

When they pulled into the SGC parking lot, Vala was so proud of Daniel she could burst. It took him a while, some scolding and one slap on the back of the head, but like his rambling at the ring counter, once he started thinking about what to do and how to do it, it was perfect, absolutely perfect. Considering everything she should have been jealous, but he was so happy and he was so fixated on Addy being happy as well that that made the day worth it, it made everything worth it. 

“Did we forget anything?” he asked her as he turned the jeep off, glancing over at her for a final reassurance. She paused herself, thinking for a moment, running his plan through her head again, making sure he hadn’t missed anything. Smiling and nodding, she looked back over at him.  

“No, we just need to get ready.  Now, tomorrow at six, Daniel your part is just as important as mine, you’ve got to be ready by tomorrow at six. You can’t get distracted by any work crap, you have to focus,” Vala warned him, reaching into the floor for the bags.   He wouldn’t forget, he would never forget Addy, but Vala was afraid of him panicking. For as happy as he was, he seemed to be so terrified that this was happening, so scared of what it meant. He’d said a few things during their shopping, things about being a parent, being a husband and he seemed to be unsure if he could actually do it. 

“Alright, alright,” Daniel laughed, thankfully, some of his uncertainty from earlier seemingly passed, grabbing the smallest bag from the console.  

“Fine, then I’ll come down to your quarters at eleven tonight to make sure and then I’ll start getting everything ready at five,” she said as she opened the door. 

Chewing his lip again, or so it appeared to Vala as she scanned him carefully, Daniel got out on his side, walking over to help her with the bags.  Clearly nervous, his eyes gazing at the ground, he took them from her hands and set them on the ground, looking up suddenly to reach out and hug her, surprising her so much that she hesitated to wrap her arms around him and then he was gone, pulling away. 

“I just can’t - “ he started to say but he didn’t need to. She had read his face, his actions all day and she knew what he was thinking. Smiling, she put her finger to his mouth.  

“Yes, you can. You have.  That was another life Daniel, another life but this is the one that counts.  What was meant to be, happened, Addy is your meant to be, and I think this was the better outcome,” she whispered, reaching out for his hand. 

“Will you hate me if I agree?” he asked, carefully, realizing that he was having a conversation that he never wanted to have.

“I did just help you prepare to ask this woman to marry you didn’t I?” she retorted, laughing just enough to make him feel better. He smiled, not just at her words but at the closure, closure that they had never had.   

“Ok, eleven, my quarters.  And I don’t need to do anything else?” he asked, checking once more. 

“Not a thing, I’ve got it covered,” she replied, whisking herself through the side entrance, as Daniel nervously made his way back to the infirmary to check on Adrienne.  

*****

At 5:30 p.m. the next day, Daniel showed up in the infirmary looking like he had trouble on his mind, his mischievous grin peeping up over the latest edition of The Walking Dead, which he had brought to her yesterday.  Adrienne didn’t trust that look, not much more than she trusted his visit yesterday when he brought her iPod, the comic book and some dark organic chocolate, but she sat up cutting her dark eyes at him. 

“Hi Indy,” she greeted, noting the face that was now backing away from the top of the book was grinning even brighter. 

“Come on, we’re going to go on a little field trip,” he said offering no other explanation.

“To where sha?” she asked, frowning as she sat up a bit, wincing, “I’ve been puking all day, is damn zeerahb.” 

Thinking that she could never be disgusting, especially if the source of said puking was his child, their child, that wonderful little person growing inside of her, Daniel walked over and sat on he edge of the bed, pushing her hair behind her ear.  

“Did you take the medicine that Dr. Lam gave you?’ he asked, kissing her on the head gently.

“No, I donna care wha she says. I’m scared dat it’ll ‘urt da baby,” she answered, apparently tired as her accent slipped and she leaned forward, trying to slip into his arms. Pulling her close to him, he wrapped himself around her, kissing her cheek and running his fingers through the back of her hair. 

“Is there something more natural you can do ja-wer? That I can get you?” he whispered.  

“I think Imma gonna try ginger root.  Get Cam ta bring me some from da GNC.  Dat might work,” she answered as she cuddled closer, “You’re gonna owe me after dis sha.  I ‘ate puking.” 

“I’ll make it up to you, I promise,” Daniel assured her, standing from the bed and leaning over to lift her into his arms, setting her tenderly into the wheelchair.  

“So where we going?” she asked, gazing up, despite the progress she had made in the past twenty four hours looking so weak, so unlike Adrienne. 

“Just to dinner. I wanted to get you out of this gloomy place. Trust me, I know how gloomy it can be,” he answered, chuckling, pushing her over to the doorway.  

*****

When they arrived at the commissary, Teal’c saw them, waving them over to their usual table.  Cocking his head in recognition, Daniel pushed Adrienne over to the table where Cameron, Teal’c and John were sitting and excused himself to get Adrienne something to eat, trying to remember what Carolyn said she could and could not try to eat when Vala came up behind him.  

“You ready?” she asked in a whisper, peeking over in Addy’s direction.

“No,” he answered honestly, raising his eyebrows behind his glasses as he set a few crackers on the tray. 

“Well tough because I made every damn change that you asked for last night, so either you’re gonna ask her to marry you right damn now or I’m gonna do it for you!” she spat in warning, watching him slowly place a plate of carrots on the tray. 

“Tell me this is not going to blow up in my face?” he asked quietly.  

“It’s not, just get her some food and get back over there,” Vala whispered, squeezing his hand and turning to slip out of the side door.  Taking a deep breath, Daniel filled the tray with the rest of Adrienne’s garden bar assortment and returned to the table, setting the tray in front of her and taking the seat beside her wheelchair.  They were talking about the mission that had been postponed, one that Adrienne was supposed to lead on and he was worried for a moment that the conversation would upset her, but it didn’t, she just went into work mode as though she wasn’t going due to some normal circumstance like an IOA visit or a sprained ankle. Feeling better, for a moment forgetting that his love was sitting in a wheelchair and in a hospital gown, Daniel tapped her on the shoulder and pointed at the tray.  

“Thank you sha,” she responded, kissing him lightly on the cheek.  Looking back at their friends, she reached for her carrots and began to eat slowly, trying to keep things as normal as possible. 

At 6 o’clock on the dot nothing happened and Daniel’s heart began to race. Where was Vala!?! He was starting to panic, trying not to let Adrienne see the worry in his face when he heard a faint squeaking noise.  Peering over his shoulder, he saw it, just like they had set it up the night before, Vala mouthing something like “I’m sorry,” because apparently she didn’t know that the cart would be that noisy. Looking back to the able,  Daniel saw that Adrienne staring right a Vala as she approached, an expression of confusion on her face.

“Sha, what’s that?” she asked, as Vala brought the glowing Cyprus tree to the table, a Cyprus tree covered in white lights like a Christmas tree and decorated with small trinkets.  Adrienne glanced at Vala, looking for answers, but she just smiled at her, cocking her head at Daniel as she continued to push the cart. 
“Indy, I love Christmas, but sha, it’s September and a Cyprus, what is that?” she asked him, but he just shook his head, pointing at the plant that was approaching. Bewildered, Adrienne peered back at the tree, trying to figure out what mischief he was obviously up to when she noticed that very much like a Christmas tree it was decorated with items, various familiar items. 

On a branch about midway down the tree there was a K-Bar, tied tightly so it would not fall or weigh down the tree too much though the branches looked strained.  Adrienne made a face, trying to figure out why in the world Daniel had tied a knife to a tree when saw that hanging above it was a knotted cord that look suspiciously like Quipu, Incan quipu.  Adrienne’s eyes widened, they were reminders, mementos, and she looked at Daniel for confirmation but he just smiled and pointed at the tree again.  To the right was a Matchbox car, a truck actually, a Uhaul truck, hanging right beside a small die cast Volkswagen beetle, that looked like her beetle. Adrienne started to tear up as she carefully leaned forward in the wheelchair, examining the other items there, hollowed coconuts, a nerf dart, a question card from that stupid board game that she, Vala and Sam had played, a small bottle of bubble bath, a computer cord, a Shakira CD case. There were more small items all over the tree, reminders of their entire life together, from that horrible first interview to the night they had finally told one another the truth about how they felt to the trip they had taken just days before he had almost lost her. Touched at the detail, the care put into this but still completely puzzled, Adrienne glanced at Daniel crying, looking for an answer.  

“What is this? What are you doing?”  she asked, but he just pointed at the top where there was a small velvet box. Oh my god, she thought, this is it, this is really happening, her heart pounding in her chest, her hands shaking, but she did as he was silently requesting, reaching out for the small box, now noticing a note tied to the top. Carefully, she set the box into her lap, opening the slip of paper gently. 

You know how I am about needles but I’d still like to sweep you off into the sunset. 

Shaking, remembering what she had told him so long ago now it seemed, her words, he had remembered her words, she clasped the box in her lap, carefully opening the lid.  Inside, was a beautiful clear diamond, cut round, not too big and not too small, set in a simple white gold band, a band that was patterned with the greek key.  It was the most perfect piece of jewelry she had ever seen, this was all just too amazing, and unable to contain herself any longer, Adrienne started to cry.  Taking that has his signal, she wasn’t upset, she wasn’t going to scream and beg for him not to trap her, Daniel stood from his chair, getting down on one knee.  

“Adrienne Margaret Rowan, you’re my soulmate, you are the one person I never thought could ever exist. I can’t imagine living a moment let alone a lifetime if you’re not a part of it.  I had this all planned, I promise you, I didn’t want to do this here but I can’t wait anymore. Adrienne, my behserta, will you marry me?”  

The entire commissary was dead silent, everyone looking at them, each of their friends and colleagues awaiting her response.  Daniel couldn’t breathe, a flicker of doubt starting to creep up into his stomach as Adrienne was sobbing, thinking maybe he shouldn’t have done it like this, but she started to nod, holding her hand to her mouth. 

“YES!! Yes, I’ll marry you; right now if you want to!” she answered, reaching for him from her wheelchair, she said yes his heart was screaming, she said yes and he rushed into her arms, holding her tightly.  

“Never,” he whispered into her ear, holding her impossibly tight, “I will never let you go, I promise.”  

The entire room erupted into applause.  

*****

“Dammit Daniel, you had to screw me over again didn’t you?” Jack demanded as he entered the lab, the pounding of his boots on the tile floor echoing through Daniel’s head. He hadn’t slept much last night with the excitement of everything and he’d hoped some quiet sorting and some Advil would ease the throb in his skull. Peeking up from the box he was digging through, the idea of peace and relaxation out the window completely, he noted that Jack was wearing SGC clothes instead of his general’s dress uniform.  Adrienne’s absence on the team that would continue for at least two weeks, as per doctor’s orders, allowing Jack to slip in to take her place, not that he could really replace an archaeologist, but was delighted to have this excuse to take a vacation from his desk. 

“What did I do wrong this time?” Daniel asked, sighing, peering back into the dusty contents of the box. 

“Your little stunt in the cafeteria last night.  Every female on this base is gushing about it, including MY WIFE. Do you realize what things like that can do to guys like me?” Jack played angry but eventually broke out into a smile, laughing as he was shaking his head.  

“Sorry,” Daniel answered as he unloaded the contents of the box, small stone tools carefully onto the table, laughing to himself. It was nice to be the talk of the base and not for causing massive destruction for once.  

“Well, I just came down here to offer my services, despite my better judgement,” Jack explained, pulling up a chair and dragging it over beside the table where Daniel was   still sorting artifacts before looking up, puzzled. 

“Services?” Daniel asked confused. 

“Yes, services, among the various bullshit I had to go through on my climb to the top I’m a legal justice of the peace, don’t ask, they need my fingers in all sorts of useless crap around here to get shit done,” Jack continued, his eyes rolling at the admission of being a part of said bureaucracy. 

“Seriously?” Daniel asked, raising his eyebrows.  

“Yes, seriously,” Jack answered, “And I’m sure you’ll need to ask Dr. Perky, but I just wanted to offer, you know, considering everything.”  Offer extended, Jack made quick work toward the door as Daniel stood there for a moment, wondering if he had thought of this himself or if this was Sam’s doing. Either way, however, he was flattered. 

“We’d love you to do it,” Daniel answered, smiling, watching Jack stop in his tracks, turning around quickly.

“No need to ask the little woman?” Jack replied, cutting his eyes at Daniel in doubt.

“No, I’m sure she’ll be thrilled you offered.  She thinks of you all as her family,” Daniel added, Jack smiling at the comment.  

“Great, I’ll tell Sam, oh and speaking of,” Jack walked over to the door where an old paper box was sitting on the floor, a paper box Daniel must have missed him bringing in.  Hoisting it up into the air, Jack brought it over to the table, slamming it down in front of him.

“This is for the future Dr. Jackson, from Sam,” Jack explained, lifting the lid of the box.  Inside was a large collection of magazines with wedding gowns on the covers and an assortment of white binders. Jack smiled slyly at Daniel as he looked down into the box, his eyes widening. 

“See why I eloped? Have fun,” Jack joked, slapping him on the back leaving his old friend staring, mouth open, at the reality in front of him. 

























1 comment: