About this page

I am a late comer on this ship, I know. I pretty much was turned onto Stargate when I was injured (for my own stupidity I assure you) and I took to the Netflix to find something to occupy myself. I discovered that one of my favorite movies of all time had been made into a TV show, so I started to watch. And fell in love. With Daniel Jackson. Madly. Not just Michael Shanks (although I am fairly certain that he is a Grecian God - oh dear lord....) but the character himself. Then came seasons 9 and 10 and I was just upset by the whole thing. I love Claudia Black and the scenes were fun, but really? Her? That is what they decided he would end up with? Ugh. I mean really, what would they talk about, ever? So, I made him someone. This is your warning. This is sorta a Mary Sue. Sorta because a Mary Sue is Ms. Perfect and while Adrienne seems perfect at first she is NOT. By a stretch. She needs someone like him as bad as he needed someone like her. This is their love story.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Daniel & Adrienne #35(ish) - In Our Heads



**There is very little in this story to do with advancing the main story lines but after you read you will see why I couldn't resist. Hang in there with me, I am going to make it worth it ***

** This story features something a bit different. I have, as always, included their thoughts, but on a different level, not for the story line or characterization, but for a real time glimpse of their feelings for one another and how they are both so desperate to not let this happen to them while at the same time so desperate to be together.  Their private thoughts are in blue for Daniel and red for Adrienne. Enjoy!  **


“Name sir,” the man seated awkwardly at the ornate desk asked from the other side of a high counter that didn’t seem to fit the rest of the decor of the hotel, so tall, modern and plain while even walkway was gilded in gold.  Must have been an attempt to preserve the original structure, this place is old.  Poor guy just seems lost way down there on the other side. I wonder if he can even see me. 

“Jackson, Daniel A.” Daniel answered, flipping through his wallet for where he had written down the reservation number, a small post it note Adrienne had stuck to his computer screen just yesterday to remind him. Not noticing his fumbling, she stood behind him, in silent awe, looking up at the mezzanine’s stained glass dome in wonder, her deep brown eyes sparkling in the reflection of the chandelier light on the glass.

“Sorry sir, just one moment,” the man apologized and kept typing. Sighing, Daniel gave up on the post note, hoping Adrienne didn’t see that he had lost it, redirecting his attention to his assistant and her heavy bag. With a roll of his eyes and a cock of his head, he indicated to her that she could put her things down while she waited, this might take a bit longer than a second.  

“This place is spectacular,” she whispered, to herself more than him, setting down her duffle and relaxing her grip on the suitcase. I’ve never seen anything so grand in my life.  We should get married here. Really Adrienne, we’ve been here five minutes and that is where your mind goes. Marriage? What has he done to you!? Focus girl, focus. No husbands.

“It is and again I’d like to point out the irony of having a meeting concerning, among other things, finances and then putting us up in a place like this,” he added quietly, assuming she had been talking to him. Smiling, knowing she should have assumed that he was listening, Adrienne nodded her head.  

“I’m not complaining,  This beats an academic conference motel ANY day,” she replied, breaking her stare, as she had already locked her eyes on his baby blues at her thought of weddings, dresses, letting herself get lost in them for a moment.  Thankfully, Daniel looked back at the desk, the ledge, and over at the poor man shoved over the side to see what was taking so long.  

“Ahh, found it sir.  Will you be needing two keys?” the gentlemen asked.  Daniel looked at him strangely, never able to understand why hotels gave you enough room keys for a small tribe of people, shaking his head in the negative. 

“No, just one for each room is fine,”  he replied.  Hearing word ‘keys’,  Adrienne picked up her suitcase again, walking to stand behind him.

“Each room? Sir, we have you down for one king sized room,” the man replied, his head tilted in confusion.  

“No, that’s not correct; we need two rooms,” Daniel retorted, leaning over the counter to read the screen, difficult even for his height. What a stupid way to design a counter, he thought, scanning the monitor for his name to point out the gentleman’s error. Adrienne saw him mouthing Sam’s name and his cell phone number as she stood waiting, yet again, dropping her bags onto the floor.  Discouraged by what he saw on the screen, Daniel let out a sigh and stood back, trying not to let Adrienne read his face, which she seemed to do so well.  

“Alright, can we make a change then; can we get two rooms?” Daniel asked.  Please dear God, have two rooms. This weekend I can’t handle having to fake it; I can’t be trapped in the same room with you, especially since I know that you feel the same. 

“I’m sorry sir, but the hotel is booked for the International Science Conference, the same one it says that you are here for.  Wait, there might be, let me see what I can do,” the man stated and turned the screen back to face him typing furiously.  An equally worried look in her eyes, Adrienne leaned forward, popping her chin onto his shoulder.

“Why does this always happen to us?” she teased. Because it’s fate.; either fate or Vala.  I think she plans this stuff. I should have never taught that woman how to use a computer. . 

“Welcome to my life Ad,” Daniel replied, looking back over the counter as the man continued typing.  

“Sir, I can’t find two rooms, I’m sorry, but I can assure you that this room is one of the finest in the hotel.  We can offer you complimentary room service for dinner for the inconvenience,” he offered.  Daniel looked back at Adrienne.  Please say no.  Say we need to call Sam and fix this.  Please throw a fit, start spitting cajun at him, say something, anything. 

“Well?” he asked.  

“You’re looking at me as though we have a choice in the matter. One room, two rooms or fifteen rooms, we have two days of meetings and a night on schmoozing ahead of us. I want to get checked in and settled; let’s just get the keys,” she replied.  And hopefully we’ll be so damn tired that I can’t sit around and think about it. Realizing that this wasn’t going to go his way, Daniel shrugged and finished checking in.  

They opened the door to the lap of luxury, right into a living room area with a giant plasma TV hanging over a unmistakably romantic fireplace. There was a red and gold sofa positioned behind a very expensive looking coffee table facing the TV. To it’s left stood a free standing marble wet bar, which had a bottle of wine and two glasses sitting on it.  Wine? This has got to be Vala’s doing. Bitch. Last time I ever confide in her. Hmmm.. French.  Nice touchAdrienne looked back at Daniel. 

“This is amazing,” she said, “I mean, never ever have I ever stayed in a place like this.”  Daniel walked over into the adjoining room, setting his bag on the dresser and leaning to reply to her over his shoulder.  

“I have only a few times myself,” he answered as he opened the drawers, unpacking his clothes into the drawers.  And those times were alone, completely alone, but with someone... This is not good. I can’t focus in here, with you, it’s too much like a .... honeymoon.  ARGH! 

As he placed his items into the drawers, a futile attempt he knew for only two days, Adrienne slipped into the adjacent room, a tiny space, a dressing area it seemed, home to a small dresser with mirror and a large antique cherry wardrobe.  Peering out of the corner of his eye to see where she had escaped, Daniel noticed that she had her iPhone in hand taking pictures and typing furiously.  Shutting the drawers, pleased the small room would provide her her own area to keep things, Daniel sauntered over to join her, hands casually in his pockets. 

“Who are you texting?” he asked, knowing that she must be sharing this with someone; she had that excited look in her eyes, the one he loved.  It was Adrienne’s appreciation and love of life itself that made her such a pleasure to work with.  I just want to walk over there and wrap my arms around her, hold her, listen to her tell me everything she texting to someone else. 

“Vala, she’s gonna DIE,” Adrienne replied, walking into the bedroom area. Gotta rub this in, but do I mention the one bed thing.  I mean, she knows already.  No, Ad, no sleeping with your boss. No. Professional. Repeat after me/ You cannot date your boss. Daniel shook his head, wondering for exactly which reason Vala was going to die, the palace like quality of the room or the fact that one quick snap of the sleeping area and it would be quite obvious where the both of them would be tonight. Not that they hadn’t done it before, for months now, before he knew, after he knew, times when it was just plain wrong. Forcing the thought from his mind, he tossed his bag into the closet and followed Adrienne into the bedroom area.  

She was already squealing. 

The bed was a king size bed, as promised, but he wasn’t paying attention to that.  He was so used to sleeping with Adrienne it was like a cruel joke; here is a beautiful, perfect woman to fall in love with that he can never have and it didn’t matter that he knew by the look in her eyes that she felt the same. She was his assistant, his subordinate and it had hit him sitting there in her room, watching yet anther zombie movies, mere hours after he thought his brushes with death had come to a frightful conclusion. I can’t be with her, he thought, as she giggled and leaned closely to him, wine glass perched in her fingers; it’s like Sam and Jack all over again. He could do no more about it than Jack could do for year himself, and with the IOA and Woolsey in his lab every other day looking for he and Adrienne to discover in the Asgard database the next big break in defense technology.  He needed to stop hoping that she would show up at his door one day and tell him that she was in love with him because even if she did that was as far as it could go. 

Just love her from here, love her and be her friend and help her shine. Taking a deep breath, finally registering that Adrienne wasn’t in the bedroom; she was in the bathroom.  Because if there was one thing she loved more than running was relaxing afterwards, in bubbles. 

As anticipated, he found her standing over a bathtub, large enough for at least two people and surrounded by jets.  We both could fit in there. Easily.  And there’s a little table on the wall for the wine glasses.  Dammit, STOP IT! 

“I am going to take a bath and watch True Blood the moment we get back from this crap tonight,” she declared, pointing to yet another TV, mounted at the foot of the basin.

“How can be sure that True Blood is even on?” he asked, knowing of course, Adrienne had an answer.  

“The wonders of modern technology,” she answered and pointed over at her suitcase, which she had brought with her into the bedroom. So much for unpacking, he thought, raising his eyebrows.  

“I take it there are as many electronics in there as clothing?” he inquired and Adrienne smiled, pocketing her phone as she went to unpack.  

“Oui,” she responded, dragging her suitcase over to the dressing room, unzipping it as she moved.  Focus Ad, focus on unpacking.  Think about Eric.  Not Daniel, in that tub.  With a glass of wine.  Covered in bubbles.. Think Eric. Eric. Why can’t you just think about Eric...


*****

Their first meeting was at 5, a simple meet and greet with the powers that be.  Daniel insisted that they didn’t need to dress up much for the affair, so they decided to head down there, business casual to schmooze.  Inside, he was slightly disappointed, remembering the dress she wore to the last function and how breathtaking she had been when she came out of the bathroom in a purple dress suit.  

“Ready?” he asked, stuffing his wallet into the back pocket of his slacks.  Not the dress, but I would still throw you down on this bed and take you, right now.  What in the hell is wrong with me? You can’t think things like this, not after everything she’s told you... 

“How’s my I give a damn what you are talking about face?” she responded, crossing her arms across her chest and giving him a look that was some odd combination of sheer interest and intense sarcasm. I hope he thinks I look nice.  Of course he had to wear a blue shirtt, because his damn eyes don’t drive me crazy enough.  

“Well practiced and ready to go, let’s just get this over with,” he replied, adjusting his tie, before walking over to the open the door.  I need to get out of this room, right now before I make a complete ass of myself...

She followed him out, hitting the light and pulled the door closed behind them. 

The dinner was so fast paced that neither of them saw very much of one another.  Woolsey immediately grabbed Daniel, dragging him over to the Russian delegation to talk to some of his least favorite people about the database information.  A fan since the budget meetings, the senator from Arizona had whisked Adrienne to meet with some scientists that were working with area 51.  Separated from his partner in crime, Daniel sat, running his finger around the rim of the same glass of wine for over and hour, trying to act interested as the Russians talked on and on about essentially nothing. 

“And Dr. Jackson’s assistant here has discovered an Asgard personal shield which we are trying to construct at area 51, all very fascinating I can assure you,” Robert Woolsey was explaining, Daniel smiling supportively as if Woolsey cared for a second about anything Adrienne did at all. At least Adrienne is getting to suffer with me equally;. Why does Sam make me, now us, endure these fiascos. It’s the same thing every time...

“Es un placer verte otra vez,” the Senator said smoothly to Adrienne, his word choice in using the familiar form of the word you not going unnoticed, as he lead her over to the other Central American representatives.  Well, at least I can amuse myself speaking another language.

“Y a ti también.  Cuando tengamos oportunidades como así para demostrar lo que hacemos cada dia, eso me alegro más que nada,” Adrienne responded, smiling, careful to return the favor with her phrasal selection as well. Yeah, yeah, you’re not listening to a word I am saying. Some eye contact would be nice. Get me out of here. She continued her false grin, preparing to get the third degree about their department. It was going to be a long night.  

******

Daniel entered the room, loosening his tie and opening the door to the bedroom area.  He was exhausted and couldn’t believe that he had just sat for three hours, after the dinner, until nearly midnight, talking about the database and Anubis.  The last thing he wanted to talk about was Anubis, but since the base had been infiltrated that was all anyone wanted to talk about.  Daniel had no answers and he wasn’t in charge of intelligence and for once he was starting to regret not bringing Vala since that was her new area of expertise when he looked at the bed and remembered.  

“Better to have no answers than fight her off all night,” he said to himself, throwing his tie and jacket onto the bed. A dull throbbing echoing through his head, at this point all he  wanted a hot shower and a good night’s sleep.  Turning the knob to the bathroom door, Daniel, unbuttoning his shirt as he stepped inside.  

It was the piercing scream that almost made him slip on the damp tiles, wet from condensation. Daniel looked up, realizing that Adrienne was in the shower, in the glass stall, barely making out her curvy figure as she dashed into the far corner.  Embarrassed, he turned quickly, shielding his eyes. Dammit, I forgot, we’re sharing this room.  And she is right there. In that fancy shower.  Naked.  Dear God she is beautiful, why doesn’t she think she is beautiful. STOP Daniel STOP.. 

“Ad, I’m sorry, I totally forgot!!” he shouted over his shoulder but not leaving the bathroom, wanting to make sure first that she wasn’t going to kill him. 

“No, you’re fine, you just scared the bejesus out of me!” she said, but over the sound of the water and the construction of the shower he couldn’t hear anything other than a muffled response.  Merde, I hope he didn’t see me.  If I ever let that man see me naked it’s definitely not going to be when I am shaving my legs, because that’s sooo attractive. 

“AD!!!” he screamed, hoping that her answers wasn’t something like ‘OW, I cut myself, help me I am bleeding,’ or ‘I’m gonna kick your ass I hate you get out of here.’

“Are you okay? It’s just me, I’m sorry, I’ll leave, I just didn’t want you to freak out!!” And I don’t want to leave this room. Ever. Adrienne I don’t ever want to leave, this bathroom, this room, this hotel, this dream... 

Adrienne could barely hear him, other than a loud echo and her named being shouted out, but she saw that he had turned around so she opened the shower door, peeking her head around the corner. 

“I can’t hear a word you’re saying other than ‘Ad.’  Is everything alright?” she asked, hoping he hadn’t slipped on the wet floor, soaked from the steam of her shower. Daniel started to turn around and answer, forgetting again that the door was clear glass, steam or not, pausing before he made it around.  No looking.  No imagining. No hoping. No lusting. No dreaming. Nothing, do you hear me, nothing. And nothing out of you either.     

“Yea, I just got out of that meeting with the Russians and forgot I had a roommate. I didn’t scare you too badly, did I?” he asked, knowing she wasn’t angry but also just unable to move at all. Please don’t think I came in here on purpose.  It’s going to look like that.  It was an accident but I just can’t leave... Invite me in. 

“No, I’m fine, I forgot too.  Got out of an insanely boring conversation with that Peruvian woman I can’t stand and then made my way over here.  I was getting worried about you,” she said.  And hoping you would come in here.  I’ve been in here for forty minutes hoping you would be you and bust in here.  Get in Daniel. Take off your clothes and get in this shower with me. UGH ADDY! STOP!! 

“I was equally as bored, I can assure you.  Are you going to be much longer because I just want to shower and head to bed,”  he asked, feeling dead on his feet, that must being true.  Or you could invite me in. I would, without hesitation. Just ask, wait, I’m actually unbuttoning my shirt....

“I was just standing in here decompressing, pass me a towel; I’ll leave it running,”  Adrienne replied extending her hand.  Come on Indy, have some cojones.  Your shirt is unbuttoned, just pull that off of your shoulders, and lose those pants. Just take my hand and GET IN! 

Daniel reached over to the shower rod by the tub and grabbed a towel passing it over as he tried to avert his eyes.  I should just get in.  Just take off my clothes and ask her if I could join her. I don’t want to hurt you Addy, I want to make love to you, to love you, to worship you... 

The terry cloth was jerked from his hand as Adrienne reached for the towel. Seeing an opportunity for escape, he turned to leave the bathroom.  Maybe I should just ask him.  Maybe he’s waiting on me.  Daniel would you like to join me? It’s alright, I love you, I want to be with you. Ok Adrienne, now just say that out loud. Clearing her throat, not one word breezing past her lips, she stepped out of the shower and wrapped herself up quickly in the towel, rushing by him.  

“All yours,” she declared, smiling, opening the door to the bathroom to make her exit.  Addy ya a damn chicken. 

“Thanks,” he said, trying to look away again despite the fact that she was completely covered, but the lingering memory of her firm thighs, water running down the side of them was more than he could take.  Pushing the bathroom door closed, Daniel started to get undressed, both relived and disappointed. Jack is right, you are doomed to be alone forever. 

Adrienne was wearing pajamas, or her version of pajamas, old running shorts and a tank top she deemed too worn to be seen in public wearing, watching some lame TV show when Daniel finished, emerging from the bathroom, in only a towel. Dipping quickly in front of the TV, Daniel held up his hand in apology, making his way over to the dresser. You have got to be kidding me Indy, really? Why are you doing this to me? There is NO way you are that idiotic, you are doing this on purpose. He stood at the dresser, feeling like an ass as he caught her deep chocolate eyes gazing at him, grabbing pajamas pants, boxer and t-shirt, ducking back quicker than before. 

“Sorry, I forgot this,” he apologized, heading back for the bathroom. Or you could come take my towel off and we’ll just forget pajamas entirely. And work entirely while we’re at it.  Dammit Daniel CUT IT OUT! This is why I didn’t want to stay in this room. Forcing himself to think about less pleasant things that taking Adrienne into his arms and pressing his lips to hers, he opened the door, slipping back in to change.  

She was under the covers when he came back in, the lights shut out, sitting propped up, remote in hand. Ok idiot, get a clue. Please for the love of God get a clue! I’m ready, I can do this...

“There’s not a damn thing on TV,” she said to him. So, let’s make love instead. It’s not that late.  I want to make love to you slowly and carefully...

“Do you have your little computer wires? I’m sure you’ve hacked something we could watch,” he replied. Or, we can shut off the TV.  I would much rather talk to you, kiss you, make love to you.  STOP. You need to just go to sleep and not sit here plotting ways to flush your career down the toilet.  Adrienne shook her head.  

“Yea, but I don’t feel like getting that all out,” she laughed,  “it’s really late.  We have a whole day of schmoozing ahead of us.  We should probably just get some sleep.”  Ok Indy, at least kiss me goodnight. We are alone together in a fuckin’ palace for cryin’ out loud! 

“True, and you wouldn’t want to look sleepy for your little fan club,” Daniel teased. Come on, just kiss her good night. You’ve kissed her before, just kiss her and roll back over. 

“Good night Ad,” he added, shutting off the TV and rolling over to his side, assuming the ‘sleep with Adrienne’ position.  I love you Adrienne, sleep well.

“Night Indy,” she responded, turning her back to him as well. I love you Daniel, sweet dreams. 

*****

Adrienne awoke the next morning to Daniel standing in front of the large mirror by the desk putting on his tie.  She watched for just a moment, pretending to still be asleep. You are so handsome Daniel. You joke about being so old, but you are easily the most breathtaking man that I ever laid eyes on.  She stood, stretching, making her way to the bathroom.  

“I tried to let you sleep as long as possible,” he said. I also resisted the urge to wrap my arms around you and hold you and kiss you awake, hence the reason I am up and moving already.

“Thanks,” she answered, opening the bathroom door.  I just want to get back into that bed with you and lay in your arms like we have so many times before, but with nothing wrong, just because we’re in love.  She shut the door behind her.  

Daniel ordered room service for breakfast. Adrienne was thankful that she didn’t need to rush to get ready; she was speaking today about how to interpret ancient texts to give a truer idea of what technology that culture had been exposed to.  It was really something Daniel had been working on, but he preferred her presentation skills because for all of the craziness that was Adrienne, when she stepped up to the podium it was like the president himself was speaking.  He secretly wished he could have seen just one lecture from back when she was a professor, he could only imagine how mesmerizing she would have been. Smiling as she came out of the bathroom, Adrienne was dressed in a brown pants suit and without a word, walked over to her bag, taking out her cards with her speaking points.  She would be needing the cards since her iPad would be working the projector and he watched her fumble with the paper as he fumbled with her gadgets. 

“Breakfast arrived,” Daniel said, pointing to the tray. Fortunately, Adrienne’s odd eating habits meant he didn’t have to order much for her, just one slice of toast, two slices of cheese, some peanut butter and a milk.  See how much I love you Ad; I have your damn eating schedule memorized. I could take care of you; you deserve someone to take care of you.  

Adrienne made her way over to the tray and smiled, noting which plate was obviously hers.  God I love that man.  You need to tell him that, stop acting like a cooyon. Maybe he knows a way that we can be together...

She grabbed the plate and took it back over to the small coffee table, sitting down, her mind instantly a million miles away. Looking at her cards, Adrienne nibbled lightly at her toast, running the speaking points over again and again. Concerned, Daniel came and sat beside her so she leaned her head over onto his shoulder, seeking his touch for comfort.

“I’m nervous,” she admitted, and he could tell that she was just flipping through the cards as opposed to reading them.  And you make me feel better. Can we just sit like that all day and skip this mess. He wrapped his arm around he, leaning to pull her toward him slightly.   

“You’ll do fine.  I get to play the money game all day so at least one of us gets to talk about our research,” he replied.  You’ll do wonderful Addy; you always do. I wonder if I could get away with kissing you right now. Just quickly. For luck. Not that you need it.  She leaned in closer, rubbing her cheek into his shoulder.

“This is true,” she said, sitting up quickly, realizing what she had done. Standing before he could comment, she straightened her suit looking back at him.  

“I’m gonna go, walk around the stage a bit and get comfortable before the talk.  Do you want to meet back here at 3 when it’s all over? There’s some exhibit at the Art Museum everyone is talking about,”  Adrienne asked as she began to gather her things.  Say yes, and then we can get dinner or something and I can at least pretend for just one night that you’re mine.  Daniel nodded. 

“I think that sounds like a great idea. Just don’t mention it to anyone else; I’d rather not talk about anything conference related after we are finished with this conference for the day,” he added.  And I just want to be alone with you. Maybe I will even tell you. Tonight.

“Alright, then you’d better not vay-yay so much.  At 3 I start sending annoying texts,” Adrienne joked and Daniel smiled at her slip into cajun as she scooted out of the door.   

******

He was back to the room by 2:55 but Adrienne wasn’t there.  

“Don’t worry,” he told himself, “Late is her MO.”  

By 3:15 she wasn’t back either so he peeked at his phone, knowing that he wouldn’t have missed an annoying text.  

“Do I play her game?” he asked himself, wondering if this was intentional or just typical Adrienne.  Wow, what has happened to me? I have never acted like this before. What has she done to me? Going with the latter, he decided to wait a bit longer.  

Adrienne burst in at 3:30, holding a pair of tickets in hand, her face aglow as if she had just taken part on a major conquest, Dancing past him, she kicked off her shoes, heading for the bedroom, talking as she walked. 

“So, at lunch that annoying man from Arizona informed me that there was no way we were going to get tickets so I’ve spent the past 45 minutes finagling tickets.  You better be glad that you hired someone as smart as me,” she declared, waving the tickets over her head. Or as determined to spend the evening with you that I am trying to plan so carefully.  Flattered, Daniel smiled.  

“You didn’t have to go to all of that trouble,” he said. But this is why I am in love with you because you took that trouble. You take all of that trouble for me without desiring anything in return. Tonight. I do it tonight. 

“No big deal; I just need to change, you should change too, throw on some jeans or something and we can get going,” she requested.  His heart lifted already by her presence, Daniel followed behind her, getting clothes from the drawer so he could change as she asked while Adrienne grabbed her own things, heading for the bathroom. 

*******

The mummy exhibit started with a very well done 3D film narrated by Patrick Stewart.  Adrienne did the best she could to avoid making Star Trek jokes until Daniel leaned over about halfway through the presentation.  

“I’ll take over one of your meetings tomorrow if you say ‘engage’, loudly, as soon as the credits roll,” he whispered.  Adrienne was shocked, first the man memorizes the final talking points of Star Wars and now Star Trek? 

“No way you fool. But this is a prime example as to - “ she stopped herself.  Why I love you, as to why you’re my soulmate. Because you care enough to care.  

“As to what?” he chuckled.  Please be impressed. I haven’t watched one second of this film trying to come up with a Star Trek joke to impress you. 

“As to why how being my friend has ruined your life,” she said instead.  Nice save Ad, nice save. 

The movie ended, Adrienne didn’t say a word, despite her overwhelming temptation to shout just as he suggested. Instead, like good little tourists, they filed into the exhibit. 

*****

Adrienne was reading a Stela on the wall when she noticed that she had lost Daniel.  She looked to either side, left, right, but he was just gone, as if he had vanished. Her heart began to pound in her chest, panicking welling up inside, ridiculous considering they were in a public place, a museum for crying out loud. Scanning the room, until she saw him standing looking at a object she could not make out, she walked over to him to see what had mesmerized him so completely. He didn’t acknowledge her as she approached, strangely,  just kept staring at the artifact. Curious, Adrienne peered around him to see what it was and saw instantly why he was frozen. It was a bronze mirror, of Hathor.  Oh no, of all of the luck. Why did this have to be here. Come on Indy, love, keep it together. I’m right here.  Daniel was frozen space, no emotion, no nothing, just frozen.  Without a word, Adrienne reached over and intertwined her fingers with his, clasping his hand tightly.  She felt him squeeze her with recognition, thankfully, and she pulled him away, not letting go of his hand.  

“Let’s get out of here,” she said, “I feel like we’re at work.”  And I love you. I am not sure why you fear her so, not sure what happened to you all of those years ago, but either way, I’m getting you out of here. He came without a word and they walked hand in hand out of the exhibit.  

*****

Daniel and Adrienne managed to find a fun seedy bar down the main drag of the city, one that had flamenco dancing and tapas.  Adrienne was in heaven, drinking house made Sangria and eating a plethora of seafood cooked in exotic Mediterranean spices.  At one point during their meal a young handsome flamenco dancer sashayed over and took the glass from Adrienne’s hand, setting it onto the table, pulling her to dance with him. She went, glancing back over her shoulder to look at Daniel, asking for permission, looking for approval, he wasn’t sure, but just sat back in the booth, watching her dance as if she knew exactly what she was doing. He sat there, in silence, sipping a glass of red wine, thinking to himself the entire time how beautiful and happy she looked; how he wanted to whisk her away forever.  Once the song concluded, she came back and sat down, her pale cajun cheeks red with embarrassment, laughter tinkling from her lightly.  

“I hope I didn’t look too dammed cooyon out there,” Adrienne said as she was grabbing her glass of Sangria.  It was nearly empty, so Daniel had ordered her another, the waiter bringing it over as she sat.  

“Not at all, I was quite impressed,” he replied, pushing the fresh glass of Sangria to her.  

“Are you trying to get me drunk Dr. Jackson?” she asked, but smiled, drinking the fresh drink with gusto.  Lord, please, but I would go back to that hotel and take you sober. I’m going to tell you; I’m going to tell you. 

“No, you just needed a new one,” he defended, his own laughter creeping up into his speech. No, please don’t think that. I wanted to be nice. I wanted to do something to show you I am looking out for you. I love you.  

“Sure,” she said, winking at him but drank her drink gratefully.  They finished their tapas and Adrienne was about to ask if they wanted dessert when Daniel called for the check.

“I wanted Sorbet,” she said, making a face at him and trying not to whine.  

“I have other plans, trust me,” he said, smiling. If I can get the courage to pull it off. 

“I only trust you on occasion,” she answered, winking. Oh my lord, does he want to go back to the room? Is this really happening? Please let this be happening. When the waiter returned with the check, Daniel snatched it away, insisting on paying and hurried them out of the restaurant.   

*****

When they arrived back at the room, Daniel rushed over to the desk grabbing the small black folder that laid out all of the services to the hotel.   

“What are you doing Indy?” Adrienne asked, hurrying to his side, trying to peer over his shoulder to see what page he was on.  Please be doing something romantic, please Daniel. Make all of my dreams comes true. 

“Go find some vampires on TV or something,” he replied, pulling the folder away from her sights.  Ok Jackson, pull this off.  It needs to be not too pushy and just sweet enough where she gets the idea, that I love her. Really love her. Adrienne did as he asked, walking quietly out into the living area and turning on the TV.  She was scrolling around, looking for something as Daniel shut the door and locked her out of the bedroom.  

“What is he up to?” she said aloud. Please, please be up to something romantic.  Daniel, I love you so much, please make this happen. We don’t even need to end up in bed together, I just want to hear you say it, to me, not because you think I am asleep.

Carefully, Daniel flipped through the room service menu, scanning his options. The wine list was surprisingly limited, so he decided to just call and see what he could dig up.  He knew there was a French Red in the other room, but he hoped to find her favorite, a Ruche from Italy and this place was just ritzy enough that it might have it. 

“Room Service?” the man on the other end answered.

“Yes sir, I was wondering if you had any other wines that what are on the wine list.  I’m looking for something red, preferably from Southern Europe,” Daniel requested.  I am trying to impress the most perfect woman in the entire universe, please have something.  

“Sir, we have a Pinot Noir from Italy if that will do?” the voice on the other end asked.  Damn, Daniel thought, I was hoping Ruche, but at least it was Italian; she would recognize his effort at least.   

“Yes, that will be fine.  Is there any cheesecake left? The dark chocolate raspberry kind?” he asked.

“Yes sir there is, would you like that as well,” the gentleman asked.  Thank goodness, at least that much is working in my favor. 

“Two slices please and lots of extra fruit,” he added, knowing that would please her as well.  

“It will be ready in 15 minutes sir,” the man said.  

“Thank you,” Daniel replied and hung up the phone, satisfied is his plan.  Alright Ad, I don’t know what else to do to show you. He walked back over, unlocking the door and there she was, smiling, hands on her hips. 

“What madness are you up to Indy?” Adrienne asked Hopefully madness that ends with us in that bed, together, kissing, with me telling you how you’ve changed my life. How you are the only person I have ever met that makes me feel that I am not ruined, that I can be happy again.  

“Just some fun, trust me,” he said.  (Adrienne, I am going to pour you a glass of wine and tell you that I love you).

“You keep saying that; makes me trust you even less,” she replied, laughing, walking over to the TV. She turned it on and a gory zombie flashed on the screen and Daniel made a face at her, shaking his head at her selection. 

“Kidding; I enjoy the reaction,” she said and changed the station, flipping to channel after channel but there was nothing. Well, we’ll have to find something to do.  I can think of something we can do instead. I just want to kiss you again Daniel.  Adrienne was just about to give up when there was a knock at the door and Daniel smiled, jumping up and racing to beat her to the door.  Not moving, she looked over at him strangely, her chest tightening as her imagination went wild. He opened the door and a man wheeled in a cart with a bottle of wine, two glasses and two slices of cheesecake. Oh my god, he did it. He really did it. Don’t try to act too excited Addy.. Daniel signed the ticket and handed it back, thanking the man and closing the door behind him.  

Alright Ad, you look excited.  Yes, this is it.  I love you. More than life, more than anything, please tell me that you feel the same. Daniel reached for the bottle opener and looked over at her. 

“Ok, I did my best, it’s Italian Pinot Noir and cheesecake with extra berries, I want to-” Daniel began, when the phone rang, the phone in the room and not his cell phone. Afraid that something was wrong with the food he walked the bottle of wine over to the receiver and answered because the last thing he wanted to do if he was planning on telling Adrienne that he loved her was to give her food poisoning.  

“Hello?” Daniel answered. 

“Daniel, it’s Sam.  I hope I didn’t wake you but I need you to get back here.  We have a situation,”  the voice on the other line said.  Crushed, Daniel looked down at the bottle of wine in his hand. What in the hell? I finally get up the courage to tell you how I really feel, how happy you make me, how I am going to do whatever I can do to be with you. 

“What’s wrong?” he asked, looking back at Adrienne trying to mouth Sam.  There was a pause before the general answered.   

“Anubis attacked the Gamma site.  We’ve had to move personnel here and it’s a bit chaotic.  I need you to come and help organize things.  Addy too, she’s good at things like this,” Sam said.  Daniel sighed as Adrienne came up to him to see what was wrong.  

“We’ll need to pack up and check out but then we can come right back,” Daniel replied.  

“Thank you Daniel,” she answered, “And I’m sorry. I had hoped, well, never mind. Call me when you are on your way.”  Daniel hung up the phone and looked over at Adrienne.  

“Anubis attacked the Gamma site; everyone has been evacuated to the SGC,” he said, setting the partially opened bottle onto the table.  And once again I miss my chance.  Please have just figured it out. Adrienne just walked over and placed her hand on his shoulder, leaning up and kissing his cheek very softly, longer than usual.  I hope you were trying.  If you were, I hope you know that I was too.

“Let’s eat the cheesecake while we pack; we can save the wine for a silly movie later.  Thanks Indy,” she whispered and backed away. I love you

*****

Neither of them said much the drive back. Combined with the memories of what had been done in the past I wonder what the casualty count is; Sam didn’t sound very good and sheer apprehension of what they were walking in to What does she expect us to do....  they had both been too upset for very much conversation.  

It was mass chaos.  Every medically trained person on the base was running around frenzied and there were stretchers in nearly every hallway of the base, holding people at various stages of injury.  Adrienne’s heart raced; she had never seen so many people in one place injured in such a way.  It looked like one of those medical dramas on TV she used to watch and as she had learned during her time at the SGC, when a person actually got to experience fiction right in front of them it wasn’t so glamorous. Through the confusion and insanity, Daniel and Adrienne made their way through the crowds, pushing and shoving as well as being pushed and shoved themselves, in an effort to find Sam.  They had gotten only steps from the elevator when Dr. Carson Beckett came running toward them, grabbing Daniel’s arm. 

“You’ve got medical training, right?” he asked.  Daniel nodded in the affirmative and looked back at Adrienne, taking his bag off of his shoulder, the only one he had brought in, passing it over. She took it and tossed it over her own, knowing where he was going to be taken immediately.

“Have fun Indy,” she said. Please be careful. He cut his eyes at Carson, who was beckoning him to follow If there is a God stay with her please in case this is just the beginning of a bigger mess and dashed off.  Adrienne just pushed her way through the crowd, in the direction they were heading originally, weighted down by both of their work bags, pressing on to find Sam.  

She found her, standing in the infirmary looking exhausted.  There was a part in the sea of people, and Sam caught sight of Adrienne, waving her over and shoving her way toward the archaeologist. 

“Thank God, where’s Daniel?” she asked.  

“Carson grabbed him almost as soon as we got here.  What can I do?” Adrienne asked.  Holy shit Sam what in the hell do you expect me to do.  Sam handed over a clipboard.  

“I’ve sent anyone that is uninjured to the gymnasium.  At this moment Walter and John are fielding phone calls from every ally country we have trying to determine which people are injured and which are not,” Sam explained to Adrienne.  

“On it!” Adrienne grabbed the clipboard, knowing Sam needed her to organize this massive collection of people and get those names to John and Walter.  Not a further word, she dashed out to the gym, leaving she and Daniel’s bags at the general’s feet.   

“STEP BACK!!” Vala was shouting into the hallway at the throng of people, who were pushing their way towards her, closer and closer. Adrienne could see that Ronon was having the same problem, much smaller people daring to cross the massive Sateadan warrior. I hope Daniel is having better luck.  Not quite sure where to start, Adrienne walked over to Vala, pulling her away and over to the side.  

“This is fuckin insanity and none of them speak any damn English!” Vala shouted, not at Adrienne but at the situation in general, “When did you get back?” 

“Just now; Sam called us back in.  Look, can you keep them at bay for a bit longer.  I have an idea that might help out,” Adrienne said, not giving Vala time to answer, racing up the to the gym office on the upper track the best she could through the crowd.

 “That one is just a gash, let Daniel deal with it!” Dr. Lam ordered a man in uniform, Gamma base uniform, to take the next stretcher over to where Daniel was.  He had been trying to keep up as best he could but it was growing increasingly difficult to work that fast; he wasn’t a doctor, but he didn’t argue, just kept working.  He was patching up some Saudi scientist who was screaming at him in Arabic when he heard a woman’s scream. Adrienne! He looked up but and saw Dr. Keller trying to sedate a woman while Dr. Beckett held down the flailing scientist, screaming herself in a foreign tongue, not french and she was red headed woman. Not Adrienne. Please let her be alright. What if there is an attack on this base? Daniel tried to push the thought aside and continue with the shouting middle eastern man. 

Adrienne stood leaning over the computer as Vala came in and peered over her shoulder. 

“I got Ronon to get everyone out into the hall like you asked but it’s not pretty.  Are you almost ready?” she asked trying to figure out what exactly Adrienne was doing.  Holding up her index finger, Adrienne moved her friend aside by her shoulder and rushed over to the printer, pulling stacks of documents from the base.  They looked like pictures to Vala, but she was still confused as Adrienne tapped her fingers, waiting impatiently for the last page from the printer to arrive before handing it over to Vala.  

“Ok, this is how to say ‘find your flag’ in about 20 different languages.  Tape up these flags on the walls down there and we will have them organize under their flag.  I will stand with the bullhorn and repeat the instructions over and over again in as many languages as I know to try to get them organized.  This sheet should help you out a bit,” Adrienne explained but Vala threw up her hands.  

“You think this is going to work?” she asked but took the stacks of pages, walking over to grab the tape.  

“Let’s go with yes,” Adrienne replied and reached for the bullhorn.  Christ Indy, where are you!?!

“Daniel, I need you to go to the gate and help there triaging, PLEASE!” Carolyn Lam yelled over at Daniel who was just bandaging an Asian man’s side. 

“Alright, are we getting more?” he asked, but the look on the doctor’s face answered him before her words did. 

“Many more than we would like,” she replied. Dreading the sight he was about to witness, he grabbed a radio from the table. I need to check on Adrienne pushing the button in firmly. 

“Dr. Rowan, are you on radio?” he asked, starting to pack up the things Carolyn was bringing him as he waited.  

“Daniel, she’s up on the track directing traffic,” Vala’s voice came onto the radio and he breathed a sigh of relief. So she’s alright. Vala sensed his pause.  

“She’s fine. Where are you? It is a goddam disaster down here, we could use your blabber mouth to translate,” she replied.  

“Can’t, on medic duty.  Heading back to the gate now.  Tell Ad I’ll check in later,” he said and clicked off not wanting to hear Vala’s torment.  I’m fairly certain that she has seen through my act I just don’t want to hear about that right now. Grabbing the bag, Daniel tossed it over his shoulder, heading for the gate.  

Vala shouted up to Adrienne as she was putting up the final flags onto the wall before opening the gym doors again.  

“Loverboy is playing doctor in the gateroom just FYI,” she shouted and Adrienne nodded, leaning over the railing.  

“Thanks.  Alright, let them in,” she said pointing to the door, waiting for the wave.

Dr. Lam wasn’t kidding. Daniel pushed and shoved his way through the gate room and through the crowd of people, bruised, bloodied, panicked, slamming into his as he walked. The gate was open, the shimmering blue wormhole active, and personnel kept filing through like mad.  Unsurprisingly, Sam was calm, standing at the platform directing traffic.  Inspired by her demeanor, Daniel tried to make his way to her to see where he should start when he saw it.  Through the gate a small woman came running, not limping, injured, like the rest of the survivors but running full force toward Sam a knife held low at her side, a knife Daniel would have never seen were it not for the reflection of the blade in the light of the event horizon. Dropping the bag, Daniel shoved his way through the mass of people, desperate to reach his friend in time. 

He reached Sam a fraction of a second before the woman but not soon enough to stop her and he figured this out the exact moment he felt the blade enter his body.  Unaware at first of any other sensation other than burning pain, he looked around himself, suddenly noting confusion as the Marines took his assailant down and felt Sam catch him as he collapsed.  

“Daniel, Daniel stay with me,” Sam ordered, “God damn it somebody call Carolyn!!!” 

“I love you Adrienne,” Daniel whispered and the world went black.  

“Por favor, busquen la bandera suya y levántense allí,” Adrienne gave the Spanish command and waited a moment before reading the same command in Russian.  She took a breath to read when an announcement came over the loudspeaker.  

“GATEROOM IN LOCKDOWN. ATTACK IN GATEROOM. ALL ARMED PERSONNEL REPORT!!” 

Adrienne dropped the bullhorn and ran.  

The hallway surrounding the gate room was mass chaos.  Adrienne pushed and shoved looking for a way in, seeing that the door was wide open but there were armed men and woman blocking the entrance.  Standing on her tiptoes, she tried to see just as she was shoved forcefully to the floor.  She covered her head, realizing that she might stand a better chance at this angle, peering between the legs all around her.  It was just a mass of people and bodies, but then she saw Dr. Lam and Sam working over someone, someone who looked like they were bleeding badly. She scanned the crowd for Daniel, for the jeans he had put on when they left, he would have been the only person in this room in jeans.  Adrienne saw Carolyn stand and she peered to see if maybe Daniel was on the other side helping and saw jeans as she had expected. Starting to crawl to her knees, to dart over to help him, when she saw the jeans were not kneeling and helping, the jeans were laying on the floor, in the pool of blood. Dear God, dear God no!! Adrienne screamed and leapt up, pushing her way through her peers again all the way to the row of Marines at the doorway.  

“Let me in that’s Dr. Jackson in there,” she demanded, pointing to the confusion at the back of the room. 

“No ma’am, we can’t let you go in there,” the marine started to answer but Adrienne didn’t have time for this.  Quickly she kneed him in the groin, jumping over him heading toward Daniel.  Please be ok, please be ok. I almost lost you, I can’t lose you.  Taking another step further, she felt a hand grab her from behind, but she just back fisted her impediment without thinking.  Adrienne made her way a few more steps ahead when she felt a firmer clasp onto her bicep. She turned to fight her assailant this time but Teal’c just caught her other arm as it zoomed towards his face.  

“AdrienneRowan calm down,” he ordered and it was at this very moment that Adrienne realized she was crying, but she didn’t care, she just pulled from Teal’c and moved to kick him as well.  

“People we need to get through! Teal’c get her out of here!!” Sam was shouting as she cleared a path, Dr. Lam running beside Daniel who was now on a stretcher.  All good sense out the window, Adrienne began to scream and kick the closer Daniel came into view.  No, no, no!!!  She slammed Teal’c in the chest, so he kicked her feet out from under her and picked up up, holding her forcefully, her upper body thrown over his shoulder as she continued to scream.

“Let me the fuck down!! What happened!!?! Is he awake? Dammit Teal’c put me down!!!” Every uninjured person in the gateroom was staring at her, screaming like a madwoman over the Jaffa’s shoulder.  

“Teal’c get her out of here now!!”  Sam screamed and nodding, Teal’c grabbed Adrienne up higher in his arms and carried her, kicking, screaming and thrashing out of the gateroom to Dr. Beckett who was waiting right outside with a needle, waiting to inject the screaming archaeologist with a sedative.  

Please Daniel be ok.....

Adrienne went limp in Teal’c arms.  

*****

His mouth was dry. Daniel sat up to grab the bottle of water he always kept on his nightstand and winced in pain.  Opening his eyes, he saw that he was in the infirmary, his home away from home. He reached beside himself in the bed looking for the call remote and pushed the button down, laying his head back and waiting, as he examined his body carefully, and trying not to move too much.  His abdomen was bandaged and he felt exactly like he should, like someone had shoved a knife into his stomach, putting the feelings together as the memory of what happened started to flood his mind.  Is Sam alright? Where is Adrienne? Were we attacked? Why isn’t she here?

Dr. Lam came over, a cup of water in hand.  

“You’re awake,” she said, “here, go slow.” She handed him the cup of water and he took it slowly and began to sip as directed.  Where is Adrienne? Do I ask? Do I want to know?

“So, to answer the first question, you’re fine.  Bled quite a bit, but fortunately you’re missing some organs there so other than blood and stitches, you should be just fine,” Dr. Lam explained.  Daniel nodded and went to open his mouth but Dr. Lam shook her head.  

“I’ll call her as soon as you finish that.  She put on quite a scene in the gate room and Sam’s not happy,” Carolyn continued.  A scene, what kind of scene? Did she think I was dead? She put on a scene? For me? God, why didn’t I get to tell her.... He drank the rest of the water down quickly, much quicker than the doctor liked. Taking the cup, Carolyn frowned, shaking her head. 

“You two are idiots,” she said, tossing the cup into the trashcan before walking to her office.  

Adrienne was there five minutes later and she marched right up to his bed, swear words on her tongue. Don’t cry Addy, don’t cry.

“Merde you Grand Beede!” she fussed as she walked, “You call me a cooyon but you are ‘bout motier foux!!” Daniel started to laugh despite how bad it hurt to do so. Dear God Ad, your accent is so bad right now I can barely understand you

“Sunt possede? Daniel stop laughing!!” she was still rolling with the Cajun.  Unable to stop, he laughed more, a laugh that quickly turned into a cough he had to breath deeply to control.  

“You sound so weird when you talk like that; it’s as if you have been taken over by some strange Bayou alien,” he responded.  Sticking her tongue out at him, she pushed his leg over to make space, sitting on the bed.  Kidding, kidding works. I almost left you.  I have to tell you. Please keep joking, it’s keeping me from losing it completely.  Dammit, why did I have to fall in love with you?

“How do you feel?” she asked. Good job Ad, change the subject to health...

“Like shit,” he answered. I’m not gonna lie.  Living through this resolution number 1 - stop lying to Adrienne. She smiled.  

‘You swear more with me around than you used to,” she joked. And it sounds sexy.  God, your breathing sounds sexy. UGH!!

“You tend to bring that out in me,” he picked back. Because there’s no act with you Adrienne. I can be myself, say what I want, be who I am.  Adrienne, I love you.  He started to say just that when Carolyn walked up.  

“Ok, you just woke up and I want you to take it easy. Adrienne, you can come back in a few hours to see him again, just give him some time to adjust for now,” she ordered.  Adrienne stood, nodding her head.  

“Alright, time to go have a rave in the lab before the boss gets back.  Hope Vala can score us some X,” she said, smiling I’ll be back in exactly three hours Indy. I’m not leaving this base until you do.

“X destroys brain cells, but nice try,” Daniel responded, holding his side as he laughed.  Frowning at her two most troublesome patients, Dr. Lam pointed to the door, giving Adrienne the signal that she needed to leave. Daniel looked at Adrienne again, staring deep into her brown eyes and her beautiful face.

“Adrienne I - “ he started and Adrienne froze, gazing down at him. 

Say it....
Say it.... 

“I owe you cheesecake and wine,” he chose instead.  I’m going to die alone. I’ve said it before, why can’t I just tell her to her face?

“As soon as you’re out the Cheesecake Factory it is!” she declared. Maybe some things aren’t meant to be.... She smiled and left the infirmary, trying to hold back the tears forming in her eyes.  Daniel watched her leave and leaned back, his heart aching and wanting to shout after her again, but he didn’t; he just lay there, hands folded in his lap, eyes staring out into space. There was a throat clearing over him and he peeked up to see the lead doctor of the SGC staring down at him.

“She’s very talented you know, despite the fact she drives me crazy. But talented or not, she can’t read minds,” Carolyn said, resting her hand on his wrist.  She squeezed gently, giving him a slight smile and walked away. 

I guess some things just aren’t meant to be...














2 comments:

  1. SAY IT, SAY IT, I chanted! Can't believe they were interrupted in the honeymoon suite. :) I suppose they'll catch on eventually, but you're killing me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so totally agree with Donna. You are killing me too :)
    From Solstice.

    ReplyDelete